Cat With Broken Back

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys i have a male black kitten which is about 5 month old and his back is broken the vet said there is no hope for him but i keep searching if there is anything we can do for him, he cant walk but i think he can move his legs, i took him to another vet and he said try to help him walk and there is %5 chance that he might walk again,and now he is getting worse when ever i hold him he cant hold his pee, i want to know is there any other solution for him? Please help(sorry for my terrible english)

Attachments

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Such a difficult situation to cope with, and decide what will be best for your kitten. I have heard of some cats and kittens responding well with time and 24/7 support where the break in the back bones has not completely damaged the nerves in the spinal cord, but this is rare and is still distressing for the cat while they go through it. Especially when he is not holding his pee now. I think it depends a lot on how bad the break is - did either vet give you more information about this? Also how your kitten seems, whether he is very down and unwell or still interested in everything around him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he on any steroids or anti-inflammatories? Those will give him the best chance at healing. If the nerve gets too damaged it will never heal, the anti-inflammatories minimize the damage.

Note: do NOT give any human anti-inflammatories. Most are toxic to cats. Only give what the vet says is safe.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not much help with actual treatment but there was a kitty in Australia named Princess who was abused and rescued. She too had a broken back. She learned to get around using her front legs. She does need help to go to the toilet but I think she also sometimes gets put in a "nappy". With care she has been adopted and is living a happy life so it is possible even if there is no recovery, that as long as kitty is happy and otherwise healthy that they can live a good life (providing you are able to care for him).

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
www.k9carts.com

They have the lightest wheelchair for pets on the market. They even have a fully supportive model. It's expensive though. Around $400.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to You Tube and searched Cat in Wheelchair and there are many videos, including this one with a wheelchair made from Legos!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such a difficult situation to cope with, and decide what will be best for your kitten. I have heard of some cats and kittens responding well with time and 24/7 support where the break in the back bones has not completely damaged the nerves in the spinal cord, but this is rare and is still distressing for the cat while they go through it. Especially when he is not holding his pee now. I think it depends a lot on how bad the break is - did either vet give you more information about this? Also how your kitten seems, whether he is very down and unwell or still interested in everything around him.
The vet said that his back is broken so no treatment possible, expect for the exercises, which is too late...

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yarashlbx yarashlbx How is your kitten doing?
Some very caring and positive thoughts shared here which I hope will help.
He is okey, like always he cant walk and he cant hold his pee... im so upset when i see him like that he used to play all the times and now all he is doing is laying on the cage doing nothing Sometimes he likes to play but he gets tired soon

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to You Tube and searched Cat in Wheelchair and there are many videos, including this one with a wheelchair made from Legos!
There is no weelchair in here i live in kurdistan which there is no caring about animals, there is just a few good vets and thats all we have.

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not much help with actual treatment but there was a kitty in Australia named Princess who was abused and rescued. She too had a broken back. She learned to get around using her front legs. She does need help to go to the toilet but I think she also sometimes gets put in a "nappy". With care she has been adopted and is living a happy life so it is possible even if there is no recovery, that as long as kitty is happy and otherwise healthy that they can live a good life (providing you are able to care for him).
Im trying my best to make him happy but whenever i see him that he cant walk or anything it makes me cry and i cant do anything...

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he on any steroids or anti-inflammatories? Those will give him the best chance at healing. If the nerve gets too damaged it will never heal, the anti-inflammatories minimize the damage.

Note: do NOT give any human anti-inflammatories. Most are toxic to cats. Only give what the vet says is safe.
I will ask my vet but like always they say there is no chance at healing.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. This is a lot to process. Do you have any cat rescues in Kurdistan?

Rudaw Rescue group strive to stop abuse, find homes for Kurdistan’s abandoned animals Iraq Now News

This link talks about a rescue in Kurdistan called PAWS of Kurdistan. It says they have a Facebook page, so perhaps you could get in contact with them there.

A rescue may be able to give you more resources, or might have a volunteer who is familiar with this kind of situation. Has your vet spoken with you about your kitten's quality of life, going forward?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You are trying very hard to do the best for your little kitten and it must be incredibly hard with so few places to help or resources around you. Even living in urban areas of countries with many vets and animal care resources it is hard to find experienced veterinary care for cats with spinal injuries.
There are other threads on this site where people have cared for kittens and cats who have lost power in their back legs and not been able to control toileting and I am sure one of them shows pictures of pads they found which helped to contain toileting and hopefully reduced some of the distress for the cat as well as keeping their home healthier. I will take a look around to see if I can find that thread - that person's cat had a different cause for the back limb problems and bladder and bowel control and they did see a lot of improvement but the toileting difficulty continued. If anyone else remembers which thread / member was posting please feel free to add in the link if you can find it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ah! As fate would have it, there has been some recent posting with people asking how young Reeves is doing so I have the link - and a photograph copied from the thread showing him quite grown up and in his diaper.
Kitten who can't move

Unfortunately Reeves family have not been on site since last year (hopefully due to being kept busy by Reeves and the human family they were expecting at the time) but there are lots of helpful suggestions for how to help your kitten with movement to help with circulation and range of movement in the limbs he can not move, and perhaps help him with being aware of his whole body including parts he is not able to move or feel.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The wheelchair that I posted the you tube for was home made from Legos. Toy building blocks. Here is one that a man made for a small dog. If you decide to try to adopt the kitten, You could make a smaller one for the kitten if you think about it. It is a challenge to even think about caring for a cat this disabled. Thank you for trying to find something that works for you and her. Please keep us posted.

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. This is a lot to process. Do you have any cat rescues in Kurdistan?

Rudaw Rescue group strive to stop abuse, find homes for Kurdistan’s abandoned animals Iraq Now News

This link talks about a rescue in Kurdistan called PAWS of Kurdistan. It says they have a Facebook page, so perhaps you could get in contact with them there.

A rescue may be able to give you more resources, or might have a volunteer who is familiar with this kind of situation. Has your vet spoken with you about your kitten's quality of life, going forward?
Yeah i already know about that page and i talked to them but they mostly help animals on the street and they dont get any help or support they pay to buy medicines and food and stuff, but they cant do anything for me expect for giving advice to care about him

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are trying very hard to do the best for your little kitten and it must be incredibly hard with so few places to help or resources around you. Even living in urban areas of countries with many vets and animal care resources it is hard to find experienced veterinary care for cats with spinal injuries.
There are other threads on this site where people have cared for kittens and cats who have lost power in their back legs and not been able to control toileting and I am sure one of them shows pictures of pads they found which helped to contain toileting and hopefully reduced some of the distress for the cat as well as keeping their home healthier. I will take a look around to see if I can find that thread - that person's cat had a different cause for the back limb problems and bladder and bowel control and they did see a lot of improvement but the toileting difficulty continued. If anyone else remembers which thread / member was posting please feel free to add in the link if you can find it.
Thanks for your help i really appreciate it, i'm trying to make a wheelchair for him but i dont know how... and my kitten is getting worse everyday and i talked to a girl that she is also kurdish like me but she has alot of experience i told her the whole story and we found out that the vet used a stronh medication thats why my kitten end up like that.