Cat With Bladder Stone

TN4224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone! So, I was all set to adopt a cat (female, four years old) from a local shelter when they called me to say they were sending her to vet because she was having trouble urinating and what came out was pink. Turns out, she has a bladder stone. They said they are putting her on antibiotics, pain meds, and will prescribe a special diet that should dissolve the stone. Because she's a female, they said blockage isn't an issue. But, I'm just worried about adopting a cat with current health problems. I grew up with cats but have never owned one by myself before, and am wondering what kind of time and financial commitment I'll be signing onto. Anyway, I was hoping to find out if other people whose cats got bladder stones could share their experiences? Mostly wondering about the cost of prescription food, how long it took for things to stabilize, etc. but really any advice would help. I don't want to turn her away just because of this, but also I'm just trying to make sure I can still provide this sweet kitty a good home in light of her recent health problems.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had a cat with bladder stones. I hope someone with some more experience comes along.

I have heard that cats that get stones because of a diet lacking in protein and water. It’s possible that the shelter’s food, which is often low priced and donated, caused her to get the stone. I’m sure if you feed her a mid to high quality wet food, she won’t have issues with bladder stones later on. These are all things I’ve heard from other people, so don’t take my word on it!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed her canned food if possible. She probably eats a lot of dry food at the shelter. Dry food always causes urinary problems in my cats if they eat too much.