Cat With A Curled Tail

Catmaster703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a tortie color with a tail that is like that of a "street dog". It makes a complete circle when she is standing or moving. When she settles down to eat, it lays down straight behind her. It has not been injured and is flexible in all directions. Any body else seen this trate?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. There are a couple of related cats in our shelter's feral colony with curled tails. They're all domestic short hairs. One in particular, Lisa, has a tail like a Pomeranian's, though not as fluffy.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it’s probably the same mutation seen in American Ringtails. From what I understand, it’s not a skeletal deformity, rather, the tail muscles are much more contracted than in a normal cat.

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have the "curly tail" kitty. From my reading it is a genetic trait, and a recessive one at that. I have not found much information on the current status of the two women that tried to begin a Ringtail cattery (Sing-a-lings) but apparently the genes show up (rarely) .
I think her tail is the neatest thing going but she also displays other traits that the Ringtails are known to exhibit which is her "chirp" instead of a meow (which is the reason the cattery was called Sing-a-Ling in reference to their vocalization characteristics) and the attempt to bury her dinner dish after she's finished eating. I had to remove the plastic mat I had under the water and food dish because she would flip the mat ever single mealtime. I learned quickly this was something I could not get her to stop as she wasn't conscious of her behaviour - she just did it.
Maisie is also very intelligent (more on that later - I'll find a thread for that)

I'm just so honoured to have been chosen by this wee kitty to be her human and yes I truly believe she (and the universe) had a life plan for me. I am embracing it with open arms and an open heart.

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im on here doingvresearch because one of my cats has a curked tail. None of the others in her litter have it. I present you Lady Grey!
Come over to the Cat Behaviour forum as there are a few of us catmoms with curly tailed kitties comparing notes :)