Cat With A Cold? Pneumonia?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me start with I'm getting him to the vet ASAP. I'm broke, it is Christmas and I might be probably moving next month, so of course he gets sick, now.

He is allergic to chicken and has been sneaking the kitten's food every chance he can get. I have been giving him his kitty antihistamine and watching him like a hawk. I think he still managed to get some once or twice this week but he is getting worse without his telltale allergy lip swelling.

Tonight he stopped climbing the stairs halfway to lay down. He is lethargic. He is eating and drinking. He pants occasionally (like when he purrs) and his purr sounds congested or off. It has been a week and it seems to be getting worse. He also does an occasional silent cough. He is 12 years old. The kittens sneeze occasionally and one sounds stuffed up a little bit (tiny snores as she sleeps.) No eye or nose discharge.

So allergy or cold? On a scale of 1-10 how freaked out should I be? I'm hoping to get him into the vet this weekend. If not a cold or allergies, any ideas? Heartworm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically can someone please tell me if they know what is wrong with my baby, how I get him better and tell me he is going to be OK?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All the symptoms you have described - do they typically occur when his allergies flare up? My guess is no, or you wouldn't be worried. And, you even mentioned that his one tell-tale allergic reaction is missing - lip swelling.

At 12 yo, there is a need for him to see a vet, just like you said you plan to do, ASAP. Tbh, the kitten should probably also be seen by the vet as well.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets now treat Pnuemonia can be treated with antibiotics. I say that in case you didn't know that there is more they can do than supportive care. And I would want to know if I didn't. Hopefully, he just has a cold.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of taking the kittens with me to the vet; just in case they should be treated to. They seem very healthy (1 is on a trial bacis in his new home.) I don't think the kittens really need anything besides their next round of vaccines soon.

I'm currently sick with s cold. But all the other cats besides Dante seem fine.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's a group you might call and ask your vet if you should bring them pre-symptoms - can she tell anything at this point?

On the other hand since you are ill, one trip with everyone rather than a bunch of trips, might be the easiest way to do it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are fine, but no vaccines because of the sneezing.

Dante well I'm waiting for radiologist to call us on sat or mon. Then I will find out if it is severe athsma or large air bubbles in his lungs. Also they will get back to me on his blood work. He got a steroid shot that will only last 2-3 days in case it is the air bubbles.

I'm hoping it is athsma. If it is air bubbles I may put him down (since the bubbles pop and could kill him horribly.)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the kittens are okay.

I'm so sorry to hear about the wait to find out about Dante. I've already sent a prayer for him and one for you.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He went back to the vet because because he was not eating. He has very bad asthma & pancritus (sp.) So for the next few days or week he will be getting a daily saline IV. He will be taking a asthma treatment twice a day. Also daily steroids, antinasea medicine & pain medicine. I'm hoping he will pull through. If he doesn't improve I will put him down. Fingers crossed my babycat gets better.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for Dante and you. My grandfather's doctor said that pneumonia was the old man's friend. He meant it eased you to the other side when your body was starting to collapse. If you have to help him across, it will be the kindest thing you can do. In the meantime, I'm praying that the best for both of you will happen.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be clear he has severe asthma and an inflamed pancreas. Not pneumonia ... though I get the idea. The way things are going I will put him to sleep on Friday but miracles do happen.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up putting him to sleep today. His asthma wasn't getting better and he was struggling to breathe. I hope if anyone's cat is simmiarly sick they have a better outcome.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Allowing our furbabies to cross over and leave us behind is undeniably the hardest thing we have to do as owners.