Cat Will Starve But Won't Eat Cat Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Belinda123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to say - I also offered him plain boiled egg several times this week. It was also a big nope.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Belinda123, it sounds like you have all sorts of contingency plans! :D Yes, "that purrrr little sod," I know exactly what you mean! They're so sweet but trying to feed them something they'll eat can be so difficult. And time-consuming. (And the reasons can be weird. Our cat who seemed picky turned out to have a constipation problem -- it was relatively minor and resolved with tiny amounts of pumpkin, but it was enough to make her uncomfortable. She was eating normal amounts within a couple of days. I am so dense-headed not to have figured it out sooner! And I wasted so much time trying to get her to eat.)

Sorry to hear the egg didn't go over well. Egg yolk is great food for cats!

So, crossing fingers again for Cayce to keep coming back for encores with Encore, to love Felini, and to keep drinking up that Whiskas milk for the taurine. It's great that you bought it and he likes it. :catrub:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with lisahe lisahe about trying new foods every 2-3 days, especially as he's a kitten and needs his calories. Try and get a vitamin paste for him (I'm using VetIQ Nutri-Vit Plus with my fussy boy) and give that daily too to get a bit more of a balance into him. My guy won't eat it, but is pretty cooperative about me pasting it into his mouth ;)

Stick with chicken type foods for now, especially shredded things like Encore, Applaws, Almo Nature HFC, thrive Complete, Blink (Tesco own brand) etc. He might go for the Purely Holistic or Nature's Menu chicken pate foods too - just look for ones that are almost all chicken in the ingredients.

Its definitely worth trying the adult Thrive chicken breast flavour - it's much more readily accepted than the chicken liver one in my experience. Look out for Encore and Applaws chicken and ham cans too - I have a feeling that'll go down well with your guy ;)

The Fellini will be, I think, a powder that you mix into food. It's designed for homemade and raw diets, but may be able to be mixed into the canned/pouch foods like Encore too. Homemade food is another option, and you can batch cook and freeze in portions to make life a bit easier. Check out the Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food and Home-Cooked Cat Food Resources for recipes and ideas from other homemade feeders here.

Another mix-in idea would be just raw egg yolk mixed in with his regular chicken thigh or Encore food. He might accept it in a mixture more readily than on it's own. Just don't feed the egg white raw - the raw white is bad for kitties (though its perfectly ok and good for them when cooked).

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Forgot to say - I also offered him plain boiled egg several times this week. It was also a big nope.
When my Anorexic cat won't eat his cat food sometimes he will eat it if I sprinkle Parmesan over it and sometimes I can give him a treat or 2 by the cat food dish and he will start eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Belinda123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Columbine Columbine - I will follow that! This week he has been eating well, now at least I have something else that is not only boiled chicken. I had a break trying new foods, so he's been eating boiled chicken, Encore chicken breast and Whiskas milk. He's very happy and bouncy!

Stinky15 Stinky15 sorry to hear about your cat being so fussy, it's hard when they a re already a year old and a rescue where you don't know his history... The vet I went for the vaccinations didn't find my kitten's appetite strange, simply prescribed an expensive dry vet kitten food which my cat did not eat either. I'm going to try a new vet soon by the way. I hope your kitty gets better soon! Cayce eats well, the problem is that his menu is very limited so far. If I stick to his little menu only, he is a bit scoffer, thankfully!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he's still eating, Belinda123 Belinda123 ! Some cats really do just like the same thing all the time so maybe that Encore chicken breast food will be his always food!? (To be honest, I would feel so lucky if I could feed our cats just one thing!)

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Columbine Columbine - I will follow that! This week he has been eating well, now at least I have something else that is not only boiled chicken. I had a break trying new foods, so he's been eating boiled chicken, Encore chicken breast and Whiskas milk. He's very happy and bouncy!

Stinky15 Stinky15 sorry to hear about your cat being so fussy, it's hard when they a re already a year old and a rescue where you don't know his history... The vet I went for the vaccinations didn't find my kitten's appetite strange, simply prescribed an expensive dry vet kitten food which my cat did not eat either. I'm going to try a new vet soon by the way. I hope your kitty gets better soon! Cayce eats well, the problem is that his menu is very limited so far. If I stick to his little menu only, he is a bit scoffer, thankfully!
I sent you a private message.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great to hear that Cayce's doing so well, despite being a fussy little so-and-so :rolleyes: Some cats are just ultra fussy about what they like. I'm glad you at least have a couple of options now - just try to get some kind of supplement in there to balance his diet a bit.

I had an old boy who wasn't big on the Cosma Snackies treats when offered as treats, but loved them when crumbled to a powder and used as a topper to his regular foods. Asha (the girl I had) preferred them that way too. Might be worth trying over a small amount of an already Cayce-approved food to see if he likes them like that. If he does, they can be useful to help ring the changes a little, or sometimes even to persuade a cat to eat a less favoured food/try a new food he's unsure about. Just a thought ;)

I hope you have success with a complete food or a balancing supplement soon. He needs those extra nutrients to thrive and grow.

Last edited: