Cat will not use litter box

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
7.5 year old male cat stopped using the litter box awhile back. He goes outside a few times of day and I assume that's when he does his business. He does not use the litter box or anywhere in the house. The box is plenty big enough for him to turn around in and take care of his business.
I keep it clean and change litter weekly. Not sure what the problem is. I have 2 boxes in a separate quiet spare room away from everything else.
I've tried using several different litter brands including Fresh Step, Dr Elsey's, Tidy Cats and Arm & Hammer. I'm stumped on this issue. Apparently he's using it outside because he's not in any kind of discomfort.
Any suggestion would be welcomed.
Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You have to look at what all went on in and outside your house right before he stopped using the litter box(es). If he regularly used them before and is not now, then something has changed. New pets, new people, etc? Changes in the room where his litter box(es) are?

At his age, you can't rule out an associated health issue even if you don't think he is in discomfort. How is his eating? Does he spend more time outside than he was before? The list of possibilities go on and on and on, and investigation on your part is necessary to rule out and narrow down potential reasons. Any other behavior changes in him?

You also need to follow him outside and see where he might be going, just to make sure he is and to see if you can notice anything different about his demeanor when he is out there and does go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
While he's able to head outside he will take advantage of that. Until you make him an indoor only cat, I don't think you'll see him using the boxes. I honestly don't think there's a problem, it's just opportunity.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try putting soil or sand in one of the litter boxes to see if he will use it. Some cats just dont like the feel of litter under their paws but its unusual for them to change their habits at your cat's age.If he uses the soil then you will be able to see if his poop looks healthy.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats only use the litterbox morning and night,rarely during the day. It takes 10-12 hrs for thier tummies to digest. So consider taking him inside if he's not going so you can monitor him