Cat will not use litter box

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male cats 3 years old and 3 large litter boxes. One of the cats uses the litter box all the time. The 2nd cat never uses it or at least I've never seen him.
I keep the boxes in a spare room for their privacy and clean it daily. Fresh litter every week.
They do both go outside so I assume that's where he takes care of his business. In the morning he about beats the door down trying to get out and I assume so he can take care of his business.

Maybe he uses it late at night I don't know. Might hook up a camera just to see.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does sound like he prefers the outside to do his business, rather than the convenient inside litter boxes. A camera might catch him in the act, but "about beats the door down trying to get out" does sound like he hasn't used the inside facilities.

As long as he's not having accidents around the home, I guess all is good. But if for some reason nature called and he couldn't get outside, it would be good for him to feel comfortable using a litter box.

I wonder if trying Cat Attract litter might encourage him to use the litter box.
Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

Or putting a bit of unfertilized potting soil in one of the litter boxes. That's a tip that helps former feral cats get the hang of indoor facilities.