Cat will not stop peeing on the counters after new addition?

meow9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello you cat experts, I'm hoping you have some brilliant ideas for me. For years I have had 2 cats (male and female) that are spoiled beyond measure. They are both fixed and 3-5 yrs old. Recently I decided that I had enough room and time to adopt a third kitty. From the moment I brought her home from the shelter, my male cat has loved her and welcomed her like a best friend, but my female absolutely HATES her. 

I've never seen her behave badly before as she gets along with my male just fine. She is not aggressive towards the new cat directly, but since the first night refuses to sleep in bed with me anymore, will not join in during playtime if the new cat is also playing, and the most annoying thing yet, she has begun to PEE on my kitchen countertops. I can understand the other behaviors but cannot for the life of me figure out why this latest behavior has started. 

At first I honestly thought it was the new cat, because I'd never seen it happen before and would wake up every morning to fresh tingle sprinkled alllll over the counter. It wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night to get a drink once that I caught the actual culprit in the act. I thought maybe I just didn't have enough litter boxes (I had 5 but bought a 6th one), that didn't work. Finally yesterday I thought well maybe if I put the new litter box ON the kitchen counter (eww) it would at least make sure the pee goes in the box and not all over for clean up everyday. I figured I could gradually move it down and away from the kitchen. But nope, today I came home to find fresh pee directly in front of the new box still all over the place. 

I don't know how to correct this behavior, mostly because she will never do it when I'm around to correct her. Any advice or ideas? Thank you so much!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh boy!  How long has the new addition been home?  Were they introduced slowly; over the course of days/weeks?  Has she been to the vet?  Inappropriate elimination can sometimes signal things like a UTI; so a vet check is always a good place to start.  

After that I would recommend reintroducing her to the house.  Do you have a spare bedroom you can set her up in with a litter box and all her "needs"?  This article gives some great information on how to introduce cats: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats.  It can take months for some kitties to fully accept one another.  It's perfectly normal.  Since she seems to be the "problem" one (if you rule out a health issue) I would think separating and reintroducing her would be a good way to go.  

Things like Feliway diffusers may be a good help too.  

Welcome to TCS!  I hope we are able to help you all get through this!