Cat will not stop licking his paws/ biting his fur!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so my senior cat has allergies and asthma. He is on Depo every 6 weeks for that so he is not really itching. He is flea treated. He is on a hypoallergenic diet. He's not actually itching. He had a full mouth extraction in January due to severe stomatitis and recovered well from that but needed gabapentin for an extra month for lingering pain. As soon as that seemed to subside, this issue started...Like April 1st on the dot. It began with keeping me up at night listening to him licking and chewing himself. His white fur was brown, stained with saliva, and I knew we had a problem when he had ripped all the fur from his armpits. Unlike when before we diagnosed the allergies, he is not licking his back or belly. It's his back legs/ paws, front paws, legs, armpits and whatever he can reach of his chest.

I put him in pajamas and he ripped through them with the two upper and one lower canine he has left after the dental surgery. I had to put gorilla tape on the pajamas to reinforce them (those aren't cheap when you have to replace them weekly).

When he started licking, it was time for his 6 week Depo shot, so I thought that was the issue. A week later, he was biting and licking himself even worse. The vet put him on 5mg of prozac daily, and just increased it to 10mg yesterday since it seems to have no effect except making him sleepy for a few hours. The vet thinks this is psychological and possibly related to the dental surgery.

The cat does not have a stressful life or household. He was a former feral, indoor three years now, gets along fine with his two housemate cats. They have their own places in the house, no litterbox issues. I work from home so there is no separation anxiety.

While his body is mostly covered with the new, expensive, Chewy rehab pajamas, he is still managing to lick his paws until they are raw and wet. I've tried putting Ivory soap, dawn dish soap, bitter apple spray and even hot mexican chili powder on them and all he does is lick it off. I am at my wits end. I have seen a lot of stuff owning cats with special needs and all kind of problems but I can't handle this self mutilation stuff. Wearing the pajamas is stressing him out and me watching him and catching him licking.

Has anyone had any success in stopping this issue? He's always been an itchy cat because of allergies but it was 100% under control with the Depo. It seems like ever since the dental surgery this has hit a new level and I don't know what to do, but I'm seriously at my wit's end.
:bawling:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a second opinion. He could be licking it off because to him it's like cleaning his fur from dirt. There are places just for cats with allergies. What proteins do you feed him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
After his allergy flare up and diagnosis last year I switched him to duck wet food and Go! brand duck dry food. He had zero issues, skin cleared up and his asthma/itching was under control with Depo. The various vets ( I went to several) did not think it was diet related but we eliminated chicken which was the protein he was on at the time and replaced it with duck. Then dental surgery happened and I had to feed him anything he would eat. I had to use those duck/chicken mousses for a while but was able to get him back on his regular duck wet food relatively quickly. Now I've taken him off duck and he's on hypoallergenic seafood since he's never had that before (he was feral and ate birds, mice, people food in garbage cans etc. until I took him in.) After getting a single flea bite in 2021 and breaking out in whole body inflammation from that, we put him on a hypoallergenic diet just to rule that out. The symptoms went away when he started on the allergy shots so I thought it wasn't diet related but kept him on the duck because he liked it.

Now after the dental surgery it's like all hell broke loose. His appetite is fine. He'll eat his food and look for more so he can't be in pain, but the urge to lick is ridiculous. He gets a crazed look and his pupils get big and it's like nothing will stop him. If you put your hand or anything in front of him he just licks that instead and like I said, there is no amount of bad tasting stuff you can put on him to deter him.

I found another thread on here about a cat obsessively grooming after teeth extractions so I'm thinking it has to be related.

Also--I'm in Florida. It's always allergy season. There is no escaping it, HEPA filter or whatever. I can't clean the house with anything with fragrance because of his asthma. I try to clean as best I can but everything sets of his asthma. He's probably allergic to dust, mold, pollen, grass, --things no one has any control over around here, but the allergy shots ought to take care of that. I have honestly no idea how he survived outside for 12 years until I took him in because he's an absolute mess.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be anxiety due to the surgery, given the timing.

I'm wondering if chamomile tea might help here. It is gently calming and relaxing without being sedating. Just buy a box of plain, unblended chamomile tea, and brew a cup. Chill in the fridge. Administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to three times a day. If he weighs more than 12 pounds, you can very safely go up to three tablespoonfuls, three times a day. Do be sure to use the commercial bags. They are all the German variety of chamomile. The English variety that grows in most gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats.