cat wiggles free when i pick it up ? why ?

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when i pick this cat up it always tries to wiggle free and be back on its feet

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my kitty Daisy. She's a bit better now but in the beginning she was very much like what you said. Some cats just plain don't like being held.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just your kitty's personality. Don't take it personally.
Cats, like humans, are all different. Some like to be held, others don't.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes a younger cat won't enjoy being held because there's too much to see and do otherwise. As they get older, they start to realize that being held isn't so bad and a lot of times, a kitty will enjoy it then.

Our Ms. Pepe was never much of a lap kitty. She liked being with us, but she really didn't enjoy being held. As she got older (she's 14), she decided that a lap was a good thing indeed. And now? Just try to sit down in our house and not have her jump in your lap!

Mollipop is the same way...she's not fond of being held, but I think it's because she's a kitten and she's always looking for things to get into. She loves to be in the same room with me, but she is not a lap cat by any means. Until I go to bed....then she's right there, ready to snuggle. I'm hoping that, as Molli gets older, she'll start to enjoy being held.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats just dislike being held. It's not you, it's the cat.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way - I would bet you know this - but when you hold the cat, it is important to supports his/her back paws and not let them "dangle". This helps them feel more secure and supported in your arms. But it still may not make much difference!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that it really doesn't matter how well she's supported, she just doesn't like being that high up in my arms. I can hold her all I want when we're sitting down, and even lift and hold her up about 6", I just can't stand with her.

That's just how some cats are. With Tanna, if I need her on the other side of the house for something I have to "walk" her from one end of the house to the other with my hands on her and her feet on the floor. It looks ridiculous, and sometimes she decides she wants to lay and have me push her instead, but at least she tolerates it well.
If you have that sort of situation, try that method.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persil has always hated being picked up and carried, however carefully I try to do it. But she will willingly come and sit on my lap.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buttercup only likes being held with her front paws over my shoulder, and her back paws/butt on my supporting arm.

Wesley doesn't care, and can be held upside down cradled like a baby, or even upside down with arms outstretched to the ceiling so he can "space walk" the ceiling as if its the floor.

So you can try different positions, but if they still don't want it, thats personal choice. You can try being rewarding and starting off with just very short-term pickups (hold only for 10-15 seconds), but its up to the kitty.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From my experience having cats for around 30 years most don't like to be held. They will put up with it for awhile but they really don't care for it. Neither of mine do. I try not to pick them up too much.
They do like lots of brushing and petting though. You can also rub them under the chin and behind the ears.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvzmykatz

From my experience having cats for around 30 years most don't like to be held. They will put up with it for awhile but they really don't care for it. Neither of mine do. I try not to pick them up too much.
Y'know, these are wise words luvzmykatz. With Penny it's gotten to the point where she knows I'm going to hold her at least 6x a week but she still protests the same way as she did whe she was 3 months old. It seems a little selfish of me
but I also give her rubs and massages, but since I know she doesn't like it and still do it, and have been for years, it makes me pause and reflect as to why. They're so cute I can't resist -- Plus I don't have children.

Thank you for your post.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Y'know, these are wise words luvzmykatz. With Penny it's gotten to the point where she knows I'm going to hold her at least 6x a week but she still protests the same way as she did whe she was 3 months old. It seems a little selfish of me
but I also give her rubs and massages, but since I know she doesn't like it and still do it, and have been for years, it makes me pause and reflect as to why. They're so cute I can't resist -- Plus I don't have children.

Thank you for your post.
Yeah my compromise is that I only pick them up once a day. My older cat will last about twelve seconds then he's fighting so I only give him a hug then set him free. The younger one is a little better. She likes to sit next to you but not on your lap. My older one won't even do that anymore.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sami hisses and growls when you pick her up but she doesn't really try to get away. Buddy, well you can cradle him, hold him upside down, use him like an accordion, he loves all the attention
Parker doesn't like to be held by anyone except me. Even then, it's short lived. He will put his paws on my arm and push his upper half away from me and let out a pitiful cry like I am killing him lol. He freaks out if anyone else tries to pick him up. (Mommy's baby)

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on her personality and breed, maybe she doesn't like to be held. Midnight is the only cat I've had that likes to be held. Even all the other cats I know that relatives and friends have, don't really like being held.