Cat whining non-stop after move

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat and I recently moved to a new home and she has been whining non-stop, any advice?

I’ve trying to be as patient as I can with her, but it’s really starting to get to me as it’s been happening for over 3 weeks now. To preface, she has had a lot of changes in the past few months: I got her from her old owner about a 1.5 months before we moved, during that time she was spayed, then we moved into our current.

So I totally understand how that can be stressful for her. I read that the whining is normal, and because she doesn’t feel like it’s her home yet she’ll walk around meowing and rubbing against things, but god is it starting to get annoying. I hope I don’t sound insensitive (I really have been so caring and understanding these past few weeks) but as you can imagine hearing whining non-stop for 3 weeks straight can really get to someone. Do you all have any advice on things I can do to make it stop sooner rather than later? Maybe the stress is too much and I should bring her to a vet? Has anyone else dealt with this, and how long did it last if so? Almost anything would be helpful, thanks in advance.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have co-worker who is going through this with one of her dogs right now. Two of her three settled fine. The other one is not dealing with the move at all.

You do not sound insensitive at all. :hugs: I am a cat lover to the extent that I have faced off with a racoon to protect my stray cats' kittens. (Not recommended to anyone reading.) Yet when someone dumped a kitten at my house who stayed outside my window crying for nights on end when I had to work early the next mornings, it drove me crazy. (The kitten wouldn't get near enough for capture - finally I found him stuck in the top of a tree, and he went to a good home with my MIL.)

The vet consultation sounds like a great idea. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. Your experience could help others. Thanks so much for posting.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new home. And also congrats on being a new cat parent.

It sounds like your cat has gone through a lot of changes in the past month and a half, so she certainly could be stressed. Other than the whining, is she eating and using the litter box ok? Those would be 2 things to watch for, especially with stress.

One thing you might want to look into is Feliway. I've never used it, and the consensus from members who have, is mixed. Some find it helpful, others find it does nothing. It's not cheap either, but might be something to consider.
Feliway for cats

There are also calming treats and collars.

TCS has an article on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

There's also How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles, which is more for a new cat, not new home, but might have some tips.

Also, in case she's bored, there's Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

There's also cat calming music, such as this one.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones for you :) Keep the ear plugs out of reach from the cat as they can be ingested easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones for you :) Keep the ear plugs out of reach from the cat as they can be ingested easily.
So you don’t think it’s worth going to the vet for? I should just wait it out?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried playing with your cat?
Have you tried giving your cat a treat when it’s silent for at least ten seconds?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a Cat perspective, that's waaaay too many changes in a short period of time so it's understandable she's stressed out. I'd say try earplugs and give it another couple weeks, and if she's still crying talk to your vet. Of course, nothing's stopping you from calling or emailing your vet for advice in the meantime, that doesn't cost anything.

Maybe duct tape for the cat?;)
godzilla_facepalm.jpg

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I play with her everyday it wasn’t ideal. I wanted to get her spayed before we moved and I started my new job, so I could be home with her while she recovered. It definitely would’ve helped if her previous owner had already done it
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new home. And also congrats on being a new cat parent.

It sounds like your cat has gone through a lot of changes in the past month and a half, so she certainly could be stressed. Other than the whining, is she eating and using the litter box ok? Those would be 2 things to watch for, especially with stress.

One thing you might want to look into is Feliway. I've never used it, and the consensus from members who have, is mixed. Some find it helpful, others find it does nothing. It's not cheap either, but might be something to consider.
Feliway for cats

There are also calming treats and collars.

TCS has an article on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

There's also How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles, which is more for a new cat, not new home, but might have some tips.

Also, in case she's bored, there's Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

There's also cat calming music, such as this one.

Thankfully no problems with the litter box or not eating.Thank you for those home remedies, I’ll definitely give those a try in the meantime! We have a vet appt later this week, as I’m slightly worried it could be something more (it’s been going on non-stop for a month now) and I’d rather be safe than sorry.

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I play with her everyday it wasn’t ideal. I wanted to get her spayed before we moved and I started my new job, so I could be home with her while she recovered. It definitely would’ve helped if her previous owner had already done it

Thankfully no problems with the litter box or not eating.Thank you for those home remedies, I’ll definitely give those a try in the meantime! We have a vet appt later this week, as I’m slightly worried it could be something more (it’s been going on non-stop for a month now) and I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Sorry, as you can see, I’m pretty new to this site and I accidentally combined a reply meant for someone else with the one I was typing to you, rubysmama. Thank you again!

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From a Cat perspective, that's waaaay too many changes in a short period of time so it's understandable she's stressed out. I'd say try earplugs and give it another couple weeks, and if she's still crying talk to your vet. Of course, nothing's stopping you from calling or emailing your vet for advice in the meantime, that doesn't cost anything.

View attachment 387712
I totally agree, it definitely was ideal. I wanted to get her spayed and used to me before we moved and I started my new job so that I could be home for her recovery. Really wishing her previous owner had gotten her spayed when she first could've. It's been going on for a month now, and I'm honestly not sure that two weeks would change much except for how much patience I've lost lol. I made a vet appt for the end of the week, and they said they're going to make sure nothing's wrong physically then go from there.

jontruck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried playing with your cat?
Have you tried giving your cat a treat when it’s silent for at least ten seconds?
Yes, I play with her all the time. She's (usually) quiet for the time I'm playing with her, but I can't be playing with her all the time. I hadn't tried the treats thing yet.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heh! You're right, you cannot play with your cat all the time. But you can play with your cat to get its energy out. Get your cat tired before bedtime and it'll be less active while you sleep and that means less meowing.

I brush, then play with Belle before feeding her in the morning and try to play with her before feeding her at night. Often, her energy spikes after feeding and I try to play with her then as well, time and energy allowing.

I also play with her at random times and give her a treat afterwards.

So, what I'm thinking, if your cat is quiet when you play with her, give her a treat at the end of the play session to reinforce that good behavior.

Last edited: