Cat "whimpers" - Cause for concern?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Evening,

So I was just lying on my couch watching the super bowl, and my kitty cat jumped up to come snuggle with me. I noticed that while he was lying there I heard quite a bit of "whimpering" from him. Not really sure how to explain it, but my cat makes this noise a lot if I come wake him up from a deep sleep. It's a pretty cute high pitch drone for a second. It's almost like a sigh of some sorts. I notice that if mess with his ears a bit too much, he will get annoyed and make this sound and scratch the inside of his ear. So I kinda associate this sound with "somethings a little off"

So, I started to worry a bit more than normal when he kept on making this whimpering noise every few minutes or so while lying down with me. It happened for about 20 mins before I got up and moved away thinking I might have annoyed him. My brain started catastrophizing and being like "Oh lord, he's got something terribly wrong and since he's a cat he's not showing it! The whimper is the subtle tell that something is terribly wrong!"

I know I'm thinking worst case scenario when I really shouldn't but I can't help but freak out a bit at something new that's happened. I moved away from him thinking that i was annoying him somehow, and i have only heard the sound a couple times now. He seems like hes acting normal, even woke up and cleaned himself a bit and I put my ear to his stomach to hear that he was purring.

Please tell me I'm just overreacting and everything is fine! Anyone else know what I am talking about or have experienced this from their cat? When would be a cause for concern that I need to get him to vet? He ate totally fine all day. He's been drinking water as far as I can tell, and I checked his litterbox to make sure he was pooping and peeing properly. He now just got up to eat too! I'm sure its nothing but I do hate the feeling of SOMETHING MAY BE WRONG WITH MAH BABAY!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whenever I'm worried about something, I usually call an emergency vet and describe the situation and see if they think it's an emergency, something that can wait until the regular vet is open or something normal.

Can you get a video of the sound to post/send to your vet? It's hard to know from verbal description what sound is being made.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible somethings going on if it's never happened before. Best you can do is watch. It could simply be stress. My 11 yr old cat is sleeping by my side. Usually tower or far corner and her heads down eyes partly closed. It could be inflammation so it doesn't always happen