Cat & Weight loss

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone
I posted abt my cat and how he is so skinny and I found out worms+blood in his stool and the vet prescribed dewormer and I gave it to my cat , this happened 2 weeks ago , so I wonder when I am gonna see him gaining weight again , I asked the vet and said he is less than average with 2 or 3 pounds but not too much but he looks skinny to me idk so will it take alot of time to recover from this parasitic infection ??
another reason why I am worried my cat since a long time 2 or 3 yrs I always notice the movement of his sides when he breaths but he come back to normal and he never seemed to struggle while breathing so maybe this bcs he lost weight so I notice his breath alot ??!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
have the worms been taken care of. You gave him the dewormer, did they come out? You probably have to give it again, right?

Anyway, once he has lost weight, in order to gain weight back, you will need to increase his food intake for that to happen. Even adding an egg yolk to his food a couple times a week should help. Or a cooked egg would be fine too. it's good protein for cats, and a fair amount of calories too. Not sure what you feed him, but you could look at a higher calorie food if you don't want to increase the amount you feed him.

As far as his breathing goes, it's really hard to say if it's abnormal or not. That is something you should probably discuss with your Vet. Or attach a video here so we can see what exactly you are talking about. Does this happen after play, or what. When my cats are lying on their sides resting, I can see their sides move as they breath, ever so slightly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have the worms been taken care of. You gave him the dewormer, did they come out? You probably have to give it again, right?

Anyway, once he has lost weight, in order to gain weight back, you will need to increase his food intake for that to happen. Even adding an egg yolk to his food a couple times a week should help. Or a cooked egg would be fine too. it's good protein for cats, and a fair amount of calories too. Not sure what you feed him, but you could look at a higher calorie food if you don't want to increase the amount you feed him.

As far as his breathing goes, it's really hard to say if it's abnormal or not. That is something you should probably discuss with your Vet. Or attach a video here so we can see what exactly you are talking about. Does this happen after play, or what. When my cats are lying on their sides resting, I can see their sides move as they breath, ever so slightly.
Yes the vet gave me another dose that I gave to him yesterday and I see no worms again I just saw a blood once and told my vet too
abt food I gave him dry food and sometimes chicken and potato and egg too but he likes dry food the most
And his breathing he has been like this for yrs so my fam always tells me not to worry cz this happen but not the whole time ( it happens during rest not playing ) but my cat is the type who is nervous alot of vets told me this and we have many cats so I think this makes me him kinda nervous then he calm down

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Continue feeding him regularly and he will gain the weight back. You don't want weight gain to be too quickly. My cats have no problems gaining weight. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Continue feeding him regularly and he will gain the weight back. You don't want weight gain to be too quickly. My cats have no problems gaining weight. lol
So it will take time , I check him everyday and it's been two weeks but he didn't gain weight but I think I worry too much

Chit Chat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat had a parasite 2 years ago called a Lung Fluke. According to the Vet, it's rare. My cat was having blood in her stools and just seemed a little "off." The Vet ran the tests for worms, but that came back negative. She decided to run another test for a Lung Fluke, and it was positive. It comes from crustaceans. We have a small fish pond in the backyard and are assuming she ate a snail. This was the most plausible explanation, seeing as how she hadn't been to the beach! We had to give her oral meds (liquid) for 2 weeks, specifically for this type of parasite. That cleared it up. I'm not saying your cat has this type of parasite, but it can be overlooked with the other tests.