Cat Was Given Expired Vaccine

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

I've asked for your advice once before and everything turned out alright, as you said it would.

Now I have another issue with my cat, Maki (8 y.o tom).
I gave him is final vaccinations this September and as expected, he has a lump in the shoulder/neck area at the rabies vaccine site (Biocan R is the vaccine's name).

As I was checking his passport yesterday, I saw that the vaccine that was administered had expired nearly 42 days before the vaccination day.

Is there any risk that the vaccine might not work at all (can't do titer test where I live) and could the lump be a complication of it being expired? The lump was noticeable last week, I checked everyday prior to that and nothing. So nearly 2 weeks after vaccination.

It was late at night last night when I saw that the vaccine was expired (It's been nearly a month since the vaccination, IDK how I never thought to check it prior to this) and I cannot see the vet until tomorrow, so my mind is running through a bunch of scenarios now.

Does anyone have any experience with expired vaccines and how did it turn out?

Thank you!

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had a lump for a couple weeks after a vaccine, it is a localized swelling from the shot. I actually had it removed as I was concerned about injection site sarcoma. (It wasn't). As for the vaccine effectiveness, I am not sure. That is something you should ask your vet, and I would consider a new vet if they are administering expired vaccinations.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also switch your vet because they are administering rabies vaccines in the neck. Big no-no.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

If you can recall, roughly how big was the lump your cat had? My cat's is about 2.5 cm, which online said should be a concern if it's bigger than 2cm, so now I have another reason to worry.

Mine has had it for about 10 days now and the vet said to keep monitoring it. As for the vaccine he said it is effective, because they have a 6 month extra time after the expiry date. He offered to re-vaccinate but I chose not to. Especially since he already has a lump, which is risk enough for me.
He doesn't do this at all, it was by mistake. Which doesn't make it okay at all, but a mistake nonetheless.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes they suggested revaccination!? Please find another vet.

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also switch your vet because they are administering rabies vaccines in the neck. Big no-no.
He was also surprised himself that he had given the shot in the neck. This particular vaccine Biocan R is said by the manufacture as being safe for shoulder blade injection.
Do you have any experience with lumps after vaccination? This is my first cat and this is the first time I've vaccinated him since I got him, so I'm still on high alert everytime there's an issue.

And yeah, he said I could re-vaccinate if I wanted to make sure he was all up to date with vaccination.

Unfortunately I can't get to another vet as the nearest is pretty far away from where I live (Albania) and they almost all practice veterinary along the same guidelines.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was also surprised himself that he had given the shot in the neck. This particular vaccine Biocan R is said by the manufacture as being safe for shoulder blade injection.
Do you have any experience with lumps after vaccination? This is my first cat and this is the first time I've vaccinated him since I got him, so I'm still on high alert everytime there's an issue.
I have five cats, and three of them had a lump after the shot - Artie's lasted the longest at a month and a half. It's just localised swelling and should go down after a couple of weeks. If it lasts longer or gets bigger take her back to (a more competent) vet.

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have five cats, and three of them had a lump after the shot - Artie's lasted the longest at a month and a half. It's just localised swelling and should go down after a couple of weeks. If it lasts longer or gets bigger take her back to (a more competent) vet.
Thank you so much!
Would you by any chance remember how big their lumps were? I'm just hoping it will go away.
The vet didn't seem worried, he said to keep an eye on it and to not massage or touch it too much. Just check occasionally to notice for any change in size.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure why that particular shot would be okay in the neck? The reason for not doing it in the neck is because if your cat were to develop a tumor removal from the neck area is very dangerous.

Also he believes that the vaccine was effective but wants to give him another shot just in case? I think that’s a horrible idea. The chances of developing a tumor go up with every injection especially if it’s in the same location.

I don’t have personal experience with lumps after shots. I just know that my sister’s cat had one after the leukemia vaccine and she switched to an all cat vet who quickly removed the tumor a couple weeks after it showed.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!
Would you by any chance remember how big their lumps were? I'm just hoping it will go away.
The vet didn't seem worried, he said to keep an eye on it and to not massage or touch it too much. Just check occasionally to notice for any change in size.
They were not very big, I can tell you that. Otherwise its been a while so I don't remember, sorry.

And I agree with neo_23. DO NOT have your vet to a second shot. Also they are right for the reasoning behind not giving a shot in the neck.

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure why that particular shot would be okay in the neck? The reason for not doing it in the neck is because if your cat were to develop a tumor removal from the neck area is very dangerous.

Also he believes that the vaccine was effective but wants to give him another shot just in case? I think that’s a horrible idea. The chances of developing a tumor go up with every injection especially if it’s in the same location.

I don’t have personal experience with lumps after shots. I just know that my sister’s cat had one after the leukemia vaccine and she switched to an all cat vet who quickly removed the tumor a couple weeks after it showed.
I checked directly with the manufacturers who said that it is okay.
Yep, read online about the risk of doing it in the shoulder blades and I also told the vet but he said it would be okay.

I just don't know what to think now and to be honest I'm feeling very guilty for even vaccinating him to begin with, since the risk of him coming in contact with a rabid animal is practically 0 (6th floor apartment, strictly indoors).
My online research and asking other experienced cat owners sort of reassured me that the 42 day expiry would not be an issue, since it's a case of "best before" rather than the vaccine being completely useless after that date.
Now there is this lump issue that I'm hoping it is just a reaction and will go away. He's already been through a lot and just the thought that I'm the one who took him there is horrible.

This is a vet I've known for over 6 years now and never made a mistake or caused a problem for any of my (and my cousin's) pets, so that's why I went to him this time also.

Thank you for your time!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t blame yourself, you’re just trying to do your best for your cat. I know that the American Animal Association (or something like that... don’t remember the full name) has said in their guidelines to stop injecting vaccines in necks so I think it’s a bit irresponsible of the manufacturer of that vaccine to state that it’s safe in the neck.

tora tora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don’t blame yourself, you’re just trying to do your best for your cat. I know that the American Animal Association (or something like that... don’t remember the full name) has said in their guidelines to stop injecting vaccines in necks so I think it’s a bit irresponsible of the manufacturer of that vaccine to state that it’s safe in the neck.
Thank you, I really really appreciate your time and kind words!
I'm in Albania and here the vaccines come from the Czech Republic and are administered by the vets as they see best.

Fingers crossed it goes away on its own as sarcoma has a very low success rate when the vet is a specialized surgeon, imagine what the success rate would be here where I live.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I really really appreciate your time and kind words!
I'm in Albania and here the vaccines come from the Czech Republic and are administered by the vets as they see best.

Fingers crossed it goes away on its own as sarcoma has a very low success rate when the vet is a specialized surgeon, imagine what the success rate would be here where I live.
Ah I see, you're in a different country that's probably why.
I know it's very common to have lumps in injection sites after vaccines so hopefully it is nothing. I would just monitor it and especially if it gets larger immediately go to your vet. But hopefully it's nothing and goes away soon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd file a complaint with the Albania Veterinary Association about the vet using expired vaccines, whether knowingly or unkowingly. Here's the contact info: AChVS | WSAVA

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!

If you can recall, roughly how big was the lump your cat had? My cat's is about 2.5 cm, which online said should be a concern if it's bigger than 2cm, so now I have another reason to worry.

Mine has had it for about 10 days now and the vet said to keep monitoring it. As for the vaccine he said it is effective, because they have a 6 month extra time after the expiry date. He offered to re-vaccinate but I chose not to. Especially since he already has a lump, which is risk enough for me.
He doesn't do this at all, it was by mistake. Which doesn't make it okay at all, but a mistake nonetheless.
I can't tell you in cm, but it was around the size of half a pea to a small pea sized bump. My cats surgeon suggested all future vaccines get done in the tail, towards the end of the tail. It is a bit more painful, but if a carcinoma happened there, they just lob the tail off with very large margins. Much easier than amputating a leg!