Cat Wants To Go Outside

SassKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:)I have had Sassy for about 2 years now and I have never taken her outside, although she has shown interest of the outdoors. If I did take her out it would only be with a harness and leash. I'm afraid that if I do she will want to go out all the time, and could accidentally escape. Does any one have any suggestions on this?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What I've heard some people who have leash trained cats do is carry their cat outside so that they learn that dashing across the door isn't okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SassKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you leash train a cat?

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Abyeb's suggestion sounds wise ~leashing up and carrying out to make a routine out of that. I've had my little one for a month now...I wanted to start leash training and started on my patio. She had a tendency to chew on plants and must have smelled strays

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...sorry for the cutoff post! Anyway, she came inside and immediately peed on the counter overlooking the garden ~vet and I attributed it to territorial marking as a response to the cats she smelled. She never repeated it, and seems very content behind the screen door. I may try again a bit down the road, but she's around 8-10 and I think it was too much/too soon/too fast...
Got a really nice suede small dog step in harness that seems to work better than the traditional strappy cat ones.....