Cat wants to eat everything on the floor

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all, i was hoping maybe someone else has a cat that does this and was hoping for some tips. My cat has loved to eat things he isn’t supposed to his entire life but the past couple years it’s especially bad in the morning. Whenever he wakes up in the morning his first instinct seems to be to eat any hair or fuzz he can find on the ground (which always ends up making him throw up). When he’s like this he also refuses to eat any food i try to give him. Eventually he either gives up because i stop him from eating everything or he eats something he’s not supposed to, throws it up, then goes back to normal. Once he’s either given up or thrown up whatever he ate, i wait a couple minutes and then he’ll eat his food no problem. I’m not sure how to prevent this and i’m nervous anytime i’m not gonna be around in the morning when he wakes up because i don’t want him to choke on anything. He occasionally does this during other times of the day too but not nearly as much as he does in the morning. He also gets fed very early in the morning before he starts acting like this so i know it’s not because he wakes up starving. Anyone else have a cat like this?

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides what Alldara said, when was the last time he had his teeth checked? Maybe something in his mouth is bothering him and munching on weird stuff helps him feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, he’s had his blood work done a couple time over the past couple years and everything has bern good he’s also had his teeth looked at and the vet said they’re not the best but also not too bad. He’s around 18 years old and he’s definitely done this his whole life so pica would not surprise me i guess i just cannot figure out why he does it at a specific part of the day so much. Thank you for your answers!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, he’s had his blood work done a couple time over the past couple years and everything has bern good he’s also had his teeth looked at and the vet said they’re not the best but also not too bad. He’s around 18 years old and he’s definitely done this his whole life so pica would not surprise me i guess i just cannot figure out why he does it at a specific part of the day so much. Thank you for your answers!
You'll need to check with your vet to ensure that hyperthyroid was part of the panel. It is not always included in regular blood work ☺

If the last bloodwork was over 6 months ago, most vets advise that it is not recent for a cat of 18. They are considered geriatric at that age. Check with your vet to be sure!

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll need to check with your vet to ensure that hyperthyroid was part of the panel. It is not always included in regular blood work ☺

If the last bloodwork was over 6 months ago, most vets advise that it is not recent for a cat of 18. They are considered geriatric at that age. Check with your vet to be sure!
thank you for the advice i will look into it!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonder if he's a bit nauseous in the AM so he nibbles on rando stuff to throw up then he's fine? Or does it just seem like he really does it for funsies? I had a cat with some pica tendencies - but for her it was those sparkle puff balls. As she got older though she started with some other items.

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonder if he's a bit nauseous in the AM so he nibbles on rando stuff to throw up then he's fine? Or does it just seem like he really does it for funsies? I had a cat with some pica tendencies - but for her it was those sparkle puff balls. As she got older though she started with some other items.
i’ve wondered if he does it to purposely make himself throw up. It’s hard to tell because the days when i stop him from eating enough that he just gives up he seems fine. He’s especially always loved any kind of plastic wrapper, if he finds one of those he’ll always want to eat it. i’m wondering if maybe it’s just a combination of a few things like possible nausea and/or thyroid issues along with pica.