Cat wants to be carried

birdie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone

A few months ago my husband adopted our cat from a local shelter. Birdie was really skinny and had a bad ear infection, but now she is feeling all better. Anywho ~ My question is....Birdie loves to be carried around. She will fall over right in front of you and "meow" until you pick her up and carry wherever you go. She actually likes to be held just like a little baby. Is that normal? I had a cat loooong time ago...sure he liked to snuggle once in a while but he didn't act like a baby.

BTW: Birdie is two years old.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Birdie

Hello everyone

A few months ago my husband adopted our cat from a local shelter. Birdie was really skinny and had a bad ear infection, but now she is feeling all better. Anywho ~ My question is....Birdie loves to be carried around. She will fall over right in front of you and "meow" until you pick her up and carry wherever you go. She actually likes to be held just like a little baby. Is that normal? I had a cat loooong time ago...sure he liked to snuggle once in a while but he didn't act like a baby.

Awwwwwwww. Just enjoy it. No two cats are the same.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That`s sweet! But it is OK to just reach down and pet her if you need to be busy doing something that you can`t carry her with you....and tell her you can`t pick her up this time. She`ll probably soon get where she will be content to follow you and around and help with your chores.
She`ll be OK as long as you have cuddle time everyday with her

hbrady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my Josie liked to be carried. She doesn't even like to be picked up. She usually puts up with me holding her for about 15 seconds when I get home from work. When she gives me her whiny meow, it's time to put her down.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every morning when I wake up Dori makes me carry her too. When the alarm goes off she jumps off the bed and stands right where I stand to get up out of bed. I then carry her to the bathroom with me and then pick her up and carry her to the kitchen where she gets her breakfast. It's so sweet
I love my morning cuddles.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Birdie

Hello everyone

Awww... I wish my cat would do that. That's adorable.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girlfrinds cat was like that - she bought a strap on baby carrier and carried him around like that - that was one happy cat!!!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your so Lucky!!! When ever I get a new cat I hope its a lap cat carry around cat. More often then not theyhaven't been .So I respect there personalities and accept them as they are! being siamese I have to! I think my new kitten Lilly a little Tortie Siamese is going to be a lug around cat. And I'm Excited

My two older siamese would rather not be picked up and held. They will lay in my lap and purrrrrr. But try and pick them up and they push to get down. Not Lily she loves to be picked up and held. Doing the Happy cat dance!!!!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've shared with my life with so many cats - as have many here. Some are cuddly. Some eschew cuddles for the life of a loner who interacts on his or her own terms. My little YY is such an endearing sweethart and I consider myself soooo very fortunate - since I love cuddly felines. She will demand to be picked up and as everyone knows, "a Siamese will NOT be denied"!! (a concept YY has a PhD in). She actually chirps at me at first and I finally figured out THE chrip that meant "pick me up, I want to be held" and she likes to snuggle against my chest and have her pets and scritches. On occasion I am distratced and cannot pick her up. That is when she will jump to where I am and the Pick Me Up NOW chirp is uttered rather loudly.

From the very first time she came to my home, she would carefully place her right paw on my face - on my right cheek near my nose and it is her way of saying "I love you" or "You are mine". She does this at least once a day but usually at night when we are heading for bed. She does it more often if she sense I am upset.

I feel so blessed to share my life with this wonderful kitty! You should enjoy yours too - she sounds adorable!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky you...my kitties love to cuddle but they do not like to be carried.
Relax & enjoy the love.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww what a little snugglepuss! My Wiggies always flops down in front of me demanding attention (or trying to trip me up, maybe?)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Muddy will only be carried (he doesn't often sit in you lap). He stands on his hind legs with his arms stretched out in his "pick me up" pose and cries until you pick him up. Sometimes he is so excited that he hops. If you fail to pick him up, he has been known to jump in the air assuming that you will catch him. I've only missed the catch once.

Scarlett also likes to be carried around but only by my husband - she rests on his arm and his arms are longer than mine so she fits better with him.

Our OTB Max was the shoulder rider. Fling him on your shoulder and you could let go of him and go about your business. I cooked entire meals with him riding up there. The clocked time for his longest ride was just over an hour. At 18 pounds, your shoulder would get sore.

This is normal for some cats. Be very happy that she loves you enough to want you to carry her around with you.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being carried around is Rowan's new thing. Unless he's busy pouncing on Bella, he needs to be held, but he's getting used to sitting on my feet if I'm doing something that doesn't create a lap and requires two hands. It's pretty cute, and better than Bella's attention-getter, clawing her way up my pant leg.

I'd let him sit on my shoulder, except that he'd probably fall off and hurt himself.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CyberKitten

I've shared with my life with so many cats - as have many here. Some are cuddly. Some eschew cuddles for the life of a loner who interacts on his or her own terms. My little YY is such an endearing sweethart and I consider myself soooo very fortunate - since I love cuddly felines. She will demand to be picked up and as everyone knows, "a Siamese will NOT be denied"!! (a concept YY has a PhD in). She actually chirps at me at first and I finally figured out THE chrip that meant "pick me up, I want to be held" and she likes to snuggle against my chest and have her pets and scritches. On occasion I am distratced and cannot pick her up. That is when she will jump to where I am and the Pick Me Up NOW chirp is uttered rather loudly.

From the very first time she came to my home, she would carefully place her right paw on my face - on my right cheek near my nose and it is her way of saying "I love you" or "You are mine". She does this at least once a day but usually at night when we are heading for bed. She does it more often if she sense I am upset.
YY sounds like such a dear cat! You are blessed to be owned by her.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!!!! Enjoy this! I am so jealous!
My kitties - except one or two will let me carry them.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow lets me carry her sometimes. Spot doesn't like being carried much at all. I stopped into a pet store the other day and the store kitty begged me to carry him, so I picked him up and he helped me shop (and covered me with drool!). Every cat has their own style and preferences.