Cat walking weird with harness

rouse242

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently got my 7 month old kitten a harness to try taking him outside. However when I put the harness on him, he doesn't seem to be able to get his balance or walk straight. I would compare his movements to a drunk. Is this a normal first reaction to a harness? Is there something wrong? 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he walk like he has ten pounds on his back? Like under heavy load?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, he'll walk normally again once he gets used to the harness. Put it on him for short spurts every day, gradually increasing the amount of time he has it on.

Have you ever search on Youtube for videos of cats wearing t-shirts or costumes? Hilarious. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what cats do---they're masters of passive resistance! :lol3:

If you're sure it's fitting him properly, he'll get used to it after awhile. Try putting it on him every day for half an hour, just let him wear it around the house. That will help him get used to it faster.

floralhippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's impairitive to introduce new things to your cat SLOWLY! Imagine if you were use to walking without a leash and then one day someone just snaps one on you and you're expected to walk with it on. When I bought my cats harnesses, I left them out in the middle of the floor as I would a new toy, they were interested in them within the hour!! Also, through trial and error, I learned that walking a cat is much like riding a horse; as in lightly pull on the reigns, or leash, in the opposit direction you would like them to go. Best of luck!(: [emoji]128576[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]10083[/emoji]

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's normal behavior. :lol3: Once you get him used to wearing the harness, you'll find you have to repeat the process when you clip on the leash. I tried to teach my first two cats to walk on a leash. They thought going for a walk meant they rode on my shoulders and I did the walking. :walk: