Cat walking unsteady

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
So our cat Bella who is 3 years old recently just started throwing up just once a day but other than that was acting normal. I saw hair in one & grass in another so I thought nothing of it. She is indoor outdoor (indoor at night) so she came in on Thursday & I noticed that she kept smacking her lips almost like she had peanut butter on the roof of her mouth & would make a small cough sound maybe like twice. Again I thought nothing of it because it went away. I happened to notice today that she was laying about more than usual but then when she got up she seemed to be a bit unsteady. She went to groom herself & kinda stumbled to the side but then walked inside just fine. She didn’t throw up today or anything & ate normally this morning. I put a call into the vet & had an urgent appointment made but when my husband was putting her in the carrier it must’ve been loose because she broke out ran across into the woods & is hiding in a patch of logs. She will not come out for anything I tried to coax her out but she just sits there & goes into the logs if I try to grab her. I have another appointment for her tomorrow at 10 but just for my sanity does anyone have any insight as to what could be going on. I got nervous it might be a stroke or something. Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's awfully young for a stroke (although it is not completely out of the question, just very rare), but SOMETHING is going on!

Try taking her favorite treat outside, sit down NEAR her hiding place, shake the treat bag, then sit quite patiently untill SHE approaches YOU. And keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's awfully young for a stroke (although it is not completely out of the question, just very rare), but SOMETHING is going on!

Try taking her favorite treat outside, sit down NEAR her hiding place, shake the treat bag, then sit quite patiently untill SHE approaches YOU. And keep us posted!
My other thought is maybe it’s an ear infection. The other thing is her brother likes to bite her on the neck sometimes (he’s fixed not sure why he still does this) & I always separate it even in the middle of the night. Imi like did he hurt her neck area & it affected her spine. I stopped googling things because I started to scare myself.
I tried to go out there with her fave canned food & she popped out but wouldn’t approach me she just meowed. My other cat followed me over & approached her but she attacked her & ran off to another set of brush. I figured I’d let her cool off since she just had that scare & all but when I went back now I can’t find her. I can’t get in the log or brush pile because of the way it’s situated on this hill. I’m hoping she is hiding inside there & will come out to me eventually. Hopefully she gets inside soon shes worrying me.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For you to get her safely in, and to the vet!

View attachment 347637
Thank you. So far no sign of her I was out at all hours of the night last night walking around looking for her & nothing. My husband is going to walk down the steep hill to take a closer look for her it’s so steep that you need proper hiking boots to get down & up something I don’t have. My fear is that her back legs stopped working & she is stuck. I thought for sure she would be on the porch waiting for her wet food this morning, my heart sank when I opened the door & didn’t see her. I also cried while giving the other cats there food. My only thoughts are that she is stuck or there is something wrong with her & she is going off to die alone she didn’t appears to be that sick she was eating & drinking the same but I know cats can hide sickness & im an extreme helicopter cat mom lol. I hope that’s not the case & she just got a big fright yesterday so she’s extremely scared. This poor cat has been through so much first she was found under a car without her mom so she was nursed, then my husbands brother took her in the wife hates cats so they decided to get rid of her so she went to my mom because her cat had passed away but then my mom got sick so we finally took her even though we had 4 cats already. My fear is she thinks we were going to get rid of her cos that’s the only time she had been in cat carriers 😥 Fingers crossed she comes back I’m trying to not lose hope.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bella came back!!!!!! We searched everywhere this morning but no sign of her so we had to go to a doctors appointment Which I almost canceled but it was very important. Anyway when we got home I called out for her walked around but nothing then I went in walked by our back French doors & there she was!!! I screamed her name I got so excited. She ran in just fine but is acting very skittish which I’m sure will be for a bit. She’s just hiding in the garage so I’m going to let her have her space. She seemed to be balancing just fine but I’m not jumping the gun on anything.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take her to the vet as soon as you can. Rear leg weakness can be anything from simple to serious. None of us can tell you for sure. But dehydration, one possibility, is one of those "simple"s that can become very serious.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I defiantly am I didn’t want to put further stress on her seeing as she just got back in the house. She shook her head & did stumble a tad but jumped up on the chair just fine. My thoughts is maybe it’s an ear infection (We went through this last year with our other cat) but still I’m going to get her to the vet once she lets me hold her & isn’t on high alert. She came out from hiding in the garage ate all her food & hopped up on the chair next to me & is fast asleep. She probably didn’t get much sleep last night. I just feel better she is safe in her home where I can watch her. We have a neighbor who is a vet we are going to see if maybe he will make an exception & look at her in our home. Our current vet only does shots in the home nothing else

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH JOY! I was out with a virus (not "THE" virus), and was thrilled to come back to such good news!

WELCOME HOME, BELLA!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH JOY! I was out with a virus (not "THE" virus), and was thrilled to come back to such good news!

WELCOME HOME, BELLA!
It was the best surprise!

Oh no! I think I might’ve had a stomach virus 2 weeks ago it was terrible!