Cat waking my little one

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every night I sit by my sons bed to settle him for sleep and without fail my cat jumps into the room and meows at the top of his lungs & he's not a noisy cat in general he rarely meows unless hungry so I prep him before bedtime routine with plenty food water and exercise out in garden. I like to allow him free raine of the house as he's as welcome as all of us but my god it is so frustrating he's chosing that particular time at night to come and meow for attention and even if I give it he just gets louder if I ignore it he gets louder. If my son wakes in the night and I have to go in and settle him it also happens. If I close the bedroom door he scratches and cries causing more disturbance. I really need some advice how I can deter him from this behaviour. I don't want to punish him for being vocal because he didn't chose to be in a house with siblings and another pet as we have a British bulldog too but I need this to stop at my sons bedtimes and naptimes as its relentless and very specific like my kitten just knows what times my son goes down and comes straight up to be vocal almighty🤣 as a result my son becomes unsettled or starts screeching back to play with him as they have a playful bond, my sons only 1 almost 2 so he's very routine for sleep. I'm a pregnant mama now so need my sleep so it is becoming a battle with my sons bedtime becoming later and later due to the noise of our kitten. We have a garden with high walls that is a possibility to lock him out till after my sons asleep but I feel like that's punishment as much as he spends most the day out there as he's a house cat but never used to get out as we just moved house to a space with garden and high enough walls for no escape so he currently does enjoy going out there.

Is there any methods I can use to deter the behaviour? I've got a good idea it's all attention seeking behaviour like he sees bedtime as his que to get all the attention on him now and not split between my son, partner and dog.

Advice appreciated

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So he's using that time, as you said to get your attention (or maybe even your son's attention also) to himself.

So what other point in your daily routine can you provide similar attention that's more convenient to you? Build that in and he should be less bothersome otherwise.

Your baby can be involved. Perhaps some quiet time with lights dim on the floor before bedtime where you and your baby 'play' with the cat in another area such as the living room or your room and your husband takes the dog out on a walk.
I put 'play' in quotes because obviously your son can't wave a wand around for him but watching and participating in that activity will help your son build hand-eye coordination, learn pet care responsibilities and take part in a life skill. He will participate more in that activity as he gets older I'm sure.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. What a busy time in your life so no wonder things are out of sorts. Hopefully my example helps you find a way to spend that time more enjoyabley at a more appropriate time of day for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS. What a busy time in your life so no wonder things are out of sorts. Hopefully my example helps you find a way to spend that time more enjoyabley at a more appropriate time of day for you.
Thankyou this is really helpful actually I will try this. Usually my son chases the cat around and the cat only tolerates him in small doses as he's a typical toddler very wild. My son does a high pitched squeak to copy my kitty so he squeaked himself to sleep tonight which was cute but I do need to nip this behaviour from our kitty in the bud soon as with a new baby coming early next year I don't want 2 baby routines disrupted.

I've not helped situations as often the cat wakes when baby wakes early hours then doesn't stop meowing so I began giving him food at 3am to quiet him and now it's become habit which will be a tough one to break. I often slept with a food pouch by my bed as I need my sleep and needed the ease of something to calm the kitten in those early hours so I could go back to sleep. Can't help but wonder is this rewarding the attention seeking behaviour. I'm still learning that not all cat meows mean hunger as I've never owned a cat before we got Bleu and he always ate the food so I pressumed it had to be hunger

He's only young still and growing he's 6months old and hyperactive I must get him a cat play gym or something to distract in future

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's only young still and growing he's 6months old
He needs to eat as much as he wants, so that early morning meowing could easily be hunger.

Can you obtain a timed feeder, set it initially to open at 3AM, and then maybe gradually move the time later and later to a more normal time. Also, be sure he's getting a couple of canned food meals during the day, with some kibble for snacking.

Would he use a cat wheel? You may be able to find one for cheaper on a buy/sell site or even Nextdoor . com.
Best Cat Exercise Wheel: 6 Options for Fitness Fun | Great Pet Care

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could set some electronic toys for your kitten to play with at night. There are rechargeable balls that move about on their own. I like the flopping fish personally and my cats like the ones that are bugs. Since it's out at night, it will keep your cat busy with the toy but your toddler/baby won't be able to access the toy.

You can also try getting a cat tree and putting it near a window where you can install a bird feeder.

Lots of cat enrichment will help keep your cat busy. Check out Jackson Galaxy's videos on 'catification' to help find ways to keep yours busy. A 6 month old cat is still a baby and will have tons of energy.

Is the cat neutered/spayed? If not, you'll want to set that up at a vet office soon. It could be vocal at late night and early morning if not neutered/spayed.