Cat vs Water

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
One of our cats, Jean, sometimes attack the water bowl (or the water itself, if to be more precise).

At first I thought there was something in the water and replaced the bowl, but she kept on attacking it.
We then figured that she must be attacking the ripples (which, of course resulted in more ripples..) but I've seen her doing it even when there's none!

She does it every couple of months, for a day or two and then everything goes back to normal.

It's not the worst thing she can do, I know, but it's quite annoying. Any idea on what might cause this kind of behavior?

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She might see something moving in there, like a hair floating in the surface of the water or it could be bubbles or movement as water is being released to the bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she could be just checking to see if theres water in it i catch graycie doing somthing similiar all the time pawing at her water bowl before she drinks
That's the thing.. she doesn't drink afterwards :confused:

She might see something moving in there, like a hair floating in the surface of the water or it could be bubbles or movement as water is being released to the bowl.
Could be, although it also happened with a regular bowl with fresh water
:dunno:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are rather farsighted. Sometimes, they can't determine the level of the water in the bowl, and paw at it. The ripples are visible to kitty and she can then drink without getting her whole face wet.