Cat Vs Puppy

shiaena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

So I've just recently got a puppy, 2 month old little german shepherd who is just a darling. We've been working on potty training and all, and its been going well, and of course my two cats were freaked out at the start but now it seemed chill. That is, until the attacks started.

Recently I noticed a behavioral problem with one of my cats. They slowly walk up to the puppy, no matter if the puppy is sleeping in its own bed, eating its own food, nibbling on a bully stick or whatever, and swat at its face a few times with claws out. This causes the puppy to whine, stumble away and sometimes even pee in fear. My mother and I have had it already, and I absolutely love my cats but now the puppy is scared to even come into the house after walking because that one bully cat is propping itself in front of the door each time. Its only been two weeks but I'm already afraid I may have to rehome the cats because what if that puppy was a human baby?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your puppy is a baby. Your cats (it sounds like you have had them longer?)are teaching the puppy who is in charge. Please get your cats nails clipped, and provide chances for the puppy to be out and about with your cats confined in a room. Then crate the puppy and reward your cats by tossing treats to them when they are investigating but not hurting the puppy.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are reacting to an intruder in their territory. While having a new puppy is exciting, it is important to make sure you've done proper cat and dog introductions before letting them roam freely together. Definitely read through the articles others have shared and make sure you take time to get these guys introduced properly.