Cat Vomitted (regurgitated?) Clear Mucus Minutes After Eating And Google Confused Me

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm totally ignorant about cat vomit other than knowing it's always a sign of a problem, even if it's a minor thing. I have never seen Hima vomit before.

Hima used to like N&D Sea Bass-Sardine-Shrimp wet food. The last like 2 months though, she left most of it on the bowl the rare times I gave to her. This morning I gave half of it again. It's very watery if you are not familiar with it. She pretty much only drank its water and left the rest. (Not unusual with this N&D) but then couple minutes later she vomitted clear, very mucusy liquid. It had no odor. Video of it on a napkin if you want to see:
Then drank water, 2 minutes later she vomitted a tiny amount but that was when she was pressing her belly while playing on the cat tree. She's energetic, lies in relax position right now, grooming herself.

To me it sounds like she just TRULY doesn't like that food anymore. But after a quick research Google results seem to say clear mucusy vomit is usually a sign of inflammed intestine. That got me a bit anxious so I thought I'd turn to those who are more experienced than me. What do you think?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't trust anything that comes up with a Google search. There's a lot of bad incorrect and sometimes dangerous info out there mixed in with reputable info. A veterinary school web site or vet hospital web site and the like are generally good sources for info.

Can you show the video to your vet and ask for advice? Sometimes cats vomit if they eat too fast. Or if the food doesn't agree with that tummy that day for some reason. I'd stop feeding that particular food for awhile to see if that's the cause of the vomiting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you show the video to your vet and ask for advice? Sometimes cats vomit if they eat too fast. Or if the food doesn't agree with that tummy that day for some reason. I'd stop feeding that particular food for awhile to see if that's the cause of the vomiting.
Showing the video to the vet might be too much for now as this only happened this morning and there seems to be no other problem for now. I go there often to buy stuff, the next time I'm there I can show but not today. (I was there again just yesterday. They had enough of me probably.)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on Icky Truth About Cat Puke sounds like she regurgitated.

"Does your cat vomit after eating? Some kitties eat too quickly and regurgitate their food. Regurgitation is actually different from vomiting in that the food does not have a chance to digest partially.

You can usually tell by looking at what your cat produced. If it’s firm, tubular, and covered in mucus, your pal has probably regurgitated. Cat vomit is liquid-like, and the food is more broken down. Your cat likely had a harder time expelling (you’ll notice the heaving and retching) if it was vomit."

But she pretty much only drank the wet food's liquid, I doubt the reason was doing that too fast. And there doesn't seem to be any food in the puke. :dunno:

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has actually done the same thing, puked up mucus and clear liquid, yellow liquid, I think it just has to do maybe with where it's being processed in the stomach at the time it comes up? If that makes sense haha. For me it's been process of elimination of foods sadly :dunno:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF this is a one-off, and she doesn't do it again, take the video with you next time you go. HOWEVER, and I'm sure you know this and I'm preaching to the choir, if it repeats next time she eats, take her in. There could be any number of causes, from an incipient hairball to pancreatitis, and anything in between!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has actually done the same thing, puked up mucus and clear liquid, yellow liquid, I think it just has to do maybe with where it's being processed in the stomach at the time it comes up? If that makes sense haha. For me it's been process of elimination of foods sadly :dunno:
That might very well be. She ate her dry food later in the day. No vomiting afterward. I guess that was the last time I will give her any fish

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF this is a one-off, and she doesn't do it again, take the video with you next time you go. HOWEVER, and I'm sure you know this and I'm preaching to the choir, if it repeats next time she eats, take her in. There could be any number of causes, from an incipient hairball to pancreatitis, and anything in between!
Doesn’t hurt to get a reminder! Thank you :-)

I believe it was the wet food. I remembered later the last time before today she had the same food, she didn’t eat the second half and looked nauseous by its smell.(I split wet food to two portions for am&pm.) I guess that food just doesn’t go well with her anymore. I shouldn’t have tried it. :headshake:I will give the remaining 4 cans to the stray cats tomorrow.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lord knows, it'll be better for them than what they can scrounge out of trash cans!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord knows, it'll be better for them than what they can scrounge out of trash cans!
Oh the stray cats here do nothing with trash cans! They are fed with cooked meat by humans usually,they are super picky with dry cat food too haha

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lucky kitties! I sneak food out to the ferals at my complex. It isn't actually allowed, but the neighbors all do it...we just wait until the office closes.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd love to TNR them all, but trapping is just a HUGE no-no and not so easily hidden as sneaking food. ONLY animal control is allowed to trap on the property, and they do NOT TNR. They "eradicate vermin." THOSE CATS ARE NOT VERMIN!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many pet supply stores will let you exchange unopened cans for other food even if you didn’t buy it there. I think as long as they have a SKU for that food (as long as they can resell it), they will take it back for credit.

As for the original problem, sounds like regurgitation. If it was within minutes of eating, the food is probably no good or it really didn’t agree with Hima. The only time Krista regurgitates that quickly is when I fed her bad food (too old raw thaw.). For IBD, it has to get to the intestines first to be a leaky gut reaction.

Unless you’re using that food to increase her moisture and she’s getting enough nutrition elsewhere, a food that she will only drink the liquid is not a nutritionally adequate food. Everything in the can needs to go in the cat to be assured that she’s getting balanced and complete nutrition. I prefer pates and I mix them thoroughly before serving to Krista. No gravy-lickers allowed in this house.