Cat vomiting white foam after getting shaved

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this is a bit unnatural and surprising to me as i have never seen this before.
I took my cat to the vet for summer shave and grooming. She was sedated prior to the procedure.
I got her home 4 hours after her procedure and she just vomited small amount of white foam. Is that normal?
Also, the vet told me not to give her any food or water for at least 8 hours. The procedure started at 5 pm i guess and i got her back at 9. It is now 12:37 am in my country. The vet asked me to feed her in the morning and i think that’s way too long.
But my main concern is the vomiting

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is a bit unnatural and surprising to me as i have never seen this before.
I took my cat to the vet for summer shave and grooming. She was sedated prior to the procedure.
I got her home 4 hours after her procedure and she just vomited small amount of white foam. Is that normal?
Also, the vet told me not to give her any food or water for at least 8 hours. The procedure started at 5 pm i guess and i got her back at 9. It is now 12:37 am in my country. The vet asked me to feed her in the morning and i think that’s way too long.
But my main concern is the vomiting
Not all cats do well after sedation. She will get better. Follow the vets advice about feeding

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long before the shaving/grooming did she have to go without food? The white foam vomit could be a combination of the sedative used and the lack of any food in her stomach.

The 8 hours after - when did the 'clock start' on that timeline - when you picked her up at 9? I personally think it sounds too long to go without anything, but I don't know what kind of sedative was used or how much - that could play a role in why the vet recommended she not be fed until morning.

I am not sure why you can't at least try to give her some water. Do you have any plain chicken broth you could try to give her just a tiny bit?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been a few hours so it's probably getting about time to feed her. I hope she's feeling better!
Could you feed her a very small meal when you wake up, and then a few more smaller meals throughout the day? Her stomach might have been upset from the sedation and smaller meals settle better than larger ones.