Cat vomiting dark brown liquid

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, My senior cat has been vomiting at least once a day for the past 2 days. It starts off as a dark brown liquid and then after she vomits again what looks like food. Usually light brown/beige color - what cat vomiting food typically looks like. It usually happens a short while after she's eaten. & Sometimes after she uses the litter box.
A couple days before the vomiting started I had given her two pieces of the Purina Fancy Feast Purely Natural chicken cat treats.
After she ate it I noticed that it had a sell by date of may or june 2019 (can't remember which it was and i already threw them out) I didn't think it would have been expired when I gave it to her because I purchased it not too long ago. I feel so bad for giving it to her before checking the date. It looked fine and still smelled fresh and wasn't slimy or anything... But could this be why she started vomiting 2 days later? I also started giving her some wet food when I noticed she wasn't feeling well. She doesn't seem to vomit when she eats the wet food, just after she eats the dry food. I wondered if there could be something wrong with that bag of dry food so I purchased a new bag and she still vomits shortly after eating from it. My two other cats have been eating from it and have had no problem & She has been having loose stools that started around the same time. They were also dark brown but today they weren't as dark as days prior. She is still eating, drinking water, and urinating.
I'm making an apt with the vet first thing in the morning,but i'm just really worried this could be something more serious.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much after she vomits after eating? Your description sounds more like regurgitation and they sometimes regurtiate when they associate that food with something nauseating. If she got sick to her stomach after the treats which is likely, she might still mistaken the dry food as the one that caused the problem.

Good that you will book an appointment with the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the best thing to do. 'Sell by' means that they need to be sold by that date, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't still be edible months later. They might not just be as tasty. i'm sure years ago we ate canned goods that were years expired! Dark brown to black could mean blood, but usually it has a 'coffee ground' appearance. As she gets older digestive issues are bound to arise. I would keep her on wet food with an occasional bite of hard. It may be that hard food is just too hard for her to digest right now. A vet check would be the best. as long as she is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, that is VERY good, and will be the first thing they ask. You might want to keep track of her pooping. A constipated cat will do as she is too. Offer more water, entice her with bowls setting around, and ask the vet about giving her Miralax, 1/4 tsp. mixed in her food or a egg yolk if she seems constipated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much after she vomits after eating?
An hour to two hours

But after I made this post she had another bowel movement and it's no longer dark brown, it's back to her normal stool color, still a little soft but not as loose as earlier today. Right after she used the litter box she went to eat some dry food (i always have a small bowl that I leave out for my cats in case they get hungry overnight) So far she hasn't vomited again.
I did worry that the vomit could be blood, there was a light pink tint to it when I cleaned it up, but it wasn't like bright red or anything. Same with the stools earlier today and the previous days, there was a pink tint. But as I said, now her stools are no longer dark and are more back to normal, at least color wise. So hopefully this is a good sign!

A constipated cat will do as she is too. Offer more water, entice her with bowls setting around, and ask the vet about giving her Miralax, 1/4 tsp. mixed in her food or a egg yolk if she seems constipated.
I'm not sure if she could be constipated, I don't think she is as she has been having very loose/soft stools.. A few a day. But I will speak to the vet about it and see what he thinks!

Thank you both for replying! Hopefully she will start to feel better soon.