Cat Vomiting And Won't Eat

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so I have a male cat named jello. He's 1 year and 6 months old. We got him when he was 6 months old. Ever since he lived with us, he's been eating the food like crazy. So he's live with us for about a year now and I have the closest relationship with him and I guess it's cuz it's my cat lol. But anyway, 2 months ago, he's been vomiting his food. Like it was brown and I saw still some bits of the food. We feed him Dry Food Royal Canin Persian. He really likes it. Then his vomit's kept going for about a month cuz we brought him to the vet and they gave us like this vitamin thing that we give him with a syringe. Then he started vomiting the vitamins and his food. We brushed it off for a while and maybe he would've gotten better but he didnt. Last 2-3 weeks, we realised he was getting really skinny, the moment you touched him, you could feel his ribs. I used to love rubbing his cheeks cuz he likes it as well and it was so fat. Now I can feel his bones. Around a week ago, I brought Jello to the vet and they said he had parasites in him and we just had vitamins for him, but everytime we gave him the vitamins, he would vomit them out in like 15-30 minutes. Then 3-5 days ago, I was grooming him with a brush and I think it's normal for some hair to fall off them but when I got to the tail, so much game off him to the part where I could see his tail with some blood on it. So my mom brought him to the vet but I didn't come cuz I had school. When I got home, part of his tail was shaved and it was red and some there was some blood on him. She told me that he had fungus on his tail and it was bad. We have this ointment they gave us that we gotta paste on his scar and we use gloves. The doctor also told us that the parasites are gone and we got another medicine to give him. It's supposed to be one of those like pills/tablets but my cat really hates them and can't swallow them so instead we got like just the insides which is really bitter. So we give that to him and all hell breaks loose. He really hates it. I forgot what it's for cuz I don't remember wat my mom told me. Now I think he barely eats. I have like wet food for him. It's Royal Canin Persian adult but like he just licks it and he realises he can't seem to pick it up, he just gives up. So he hasn't been eating much. Can anyone tell me what to do, I don't want Jello to die

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you need to ask the vet why Jello is losing weight. The fungus on his tail is not the reason. There may be something wrong with his tummy.

What is the name of the medicine the doctor gave him?Would he take it if it was in food or a pill pocket? Maybe you need to get a pill gun for him. Also, ask the vet to prescribe an appetite stimulant for him.

Please let us know what’s going on.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet check his bloodwork? That really needs done asap. Like first thing tomorrow morning. He needs fluids and an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine also and a shot of Cerenia to stop the vomiting so food stays down. What exactly has the vet even done? Vitamins mean nothing. Did he check a stool sample and that is how they found parasites? What parasites? What was used to treat them?

I might go as far as suggesting a new vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also ask for an x-ray to rule out any kind of blockage. Is he pooping fine? Is he eating anything at all? Do you feed him any kind of canned food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey so imma reply to yall one by one

Furballsmom Furballsmom I do have goats milk cuz I had to give some to my kitten when she was younger and I thought abt giving it to him but I havent

jen jen Hey so I don't know exactly what happened at the vet cuz I wasn't there like I said. I don't think they give him a shot of anything and they did do a blood test and that's how my mom told me he had parasites. I also live in Indonesia so idk if I can tell u what exactly we used to treat him. It's proper meds tho I hope and it ain't that weird stuff. The thing is, the vet we go to has several doctors and our fav doctor is this girl but for the last 2 visits, she wasn't the one that treated my cat. I don't really trust anyone else but her tbh.

stephanietx stephanietx Yeah we might give him an x-ray. He won't eat at all unless I force him to. Not wet food not hard food. His favourite snacks are this vitakraft stick snacks and he didn't even want them. I crunched them up and forcefully put it in his mouth but he chewed it and swallowed it. I also syringe fed him some water to keep him hydrated. I think he's pooping well. My maid said he pooped on the floor on the first floor and I think that's cuz he didn't have enough energy to go up the stairs. I've never actually tried giving my cats any canned food just bc they didn't really enjoy wet food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh I missed the Indonesia part. I have a feeling that might make things more difficult. I can't think of a routine bloodtest that checks for intestinal parasites... for dogs you have a heartworm test, but that isn't the route I would think the vet would take in this situation. They usually check a fecal sample for parasites. Do you have a copy of the receipt maybe we can make sense of it?

He definitely needs to go back in for appetite stimulant, anti-nausea medication, and subQ fluids at bare minimum.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I think he barely eats. I have like wet food for him. It's Royal Canin Persian adult but like he just licks it and he realises he can't seem to pick it up, he just gives up. So he hasn't been eating much.
This sounds to me like he may have dental pain. Can you take him in for dental X-rays? He'll need to be sedated for this so you may as well consent to any extractions that are necessary. You could also ask the vet for pain medicine. If you give him pain medicine and he starts eating again, book a dental appointment.

Although at this point, the longer a cat goes without eating or with disordered eating, the more likely you are going to need to intervene in some way like syringe feeding or an appetite stimulant. When a cat doesn't eat, it starts burning lean body mass and fat for its energy and nutrient needs. The byproducts of this often make the cat not feel so well and not so much like eating. But if you can switch your cat back to getting nutrition from food rather than its own body mass, that will help lighten the load on his liver and he should feel more like eating again.

Unless he has dental pain. Cats hide pain so don't look for him to tell you that his teeth are hurting. Often the only sign you get of dental problems is that the cat stops eating. His pain finally exceeded his hunger. At that point, you aren't likely to change his mind unless you address the dental issue that caused him to stop eating.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also for a shortterm (hopefully) solution, try mousse/pate texture food. They are the easiest to eat if he has dental issues. I think Royal Kitten Mother & Kitten is one of them (it’s more dense in calories which you might use right now for an underweight kitty.)

Naturea chicken, Purina Gourmet Gold or Fancy Feast are to name a few more.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
jen jen yeah we're taking him back to the hospital later on today but my mom is at the hospital with my dad and we gotta wait for them to come home. My mom has the receipt and she's away so Idk where it is.

daftcat75 daftcat75 that's what I thought he had. But kinda force fed him his fav snack and he tolerates it. Last night was the first time I did it and when I woke up this morning for school, he seemed like he had energy to walk around and I even saw him drink on his own.

MissClouseau MissClouseau Yeah my lil kitten eats the Royal Canin Kitten wet food and when I tried giving some to Jello, he didn't eat it but he just licked the gravy off everything.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he seems better after syringe feeding and he tolerates it, keep it up until he’s eating again on his own or you can book a dental appointment for him.

I think it’s one of Newton’s Laws that fasting cats will remain in fast unless an external force acts upon them. Syringe feeding may be that external force needed to restart him. Though it still could be an issue with his teeth.

If he’s just licking the gravy off the kitten food, can you throw a whole can into the blender and blend it up real smooth like a milkshake? He may be willing to lap up his food. You can add goats milk to make it thinner if you need to and if he likes goat’s milk. Or you can drain extra gravy from the kitten’s plate. I’m sure the kitten will eat the food anyway.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 so i got home today for school and saw my cat in the living room. He always gets up when he sees me and he started doing it again so im assuming he's not getting more energy. He wants to start eating now but im p sure he has a dental issue. We can't go to the vet today cuz the dr we wanted, her shift was over.

MissClouseau MissClouseau yeah it's not in mousse texture. It's like these lil square chunks of jelly like meat with just gravy all over it

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista is probably having a dental issue. She looks at food but only nibbles when she’s hungry enough to presumably eat through the pain. After passing by newly plated dinner, I mixed up a plate with homemade meat stock she loves. That brought her to the plate. She started eating readily until she hit a chewy bit. She jawed at it a few times and then walked away giving up on the whole eating endeavor. I called the vet and booked her dental appointment for this morning. Then I gave her a dose of pain medicine I had since her last dental extractions. Not five minutes later, she was back to the food plus meat stock portion. And then went back to her regular food plated from before. That makes me feel better that we’re probably dealing with a dental issue.

I hope you can get jello a dental sooner than later. In the meantime, keep up the syringe feeding and see about making his food soupy in the blender. See if he’d like to lick it up since he’s interested in licking gravy.

Also ask the vet if you can get a few doses of buprenorphine. If he eats with the pain medicine, then you can reasonably suspect a dental issue.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 good to know your cat is starting to eat better. Hope she gets better ^_^ I haven't had the chance to blend up the babys food yet cuz i got home really late. Instead I gave him his RC Persian wet food (mousse texture) and idk why but he only wants to eat it when it's off my fingers and not from the plate. Also could u tell me wat buprenorphine is, so i can tell the doctors in case they dk wat it is. They probably do but maybe just not the english word. idk just in case ya know

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 good to know your cat is starting to eat better. Hope she gets better ^_^ I haven't had the chance to blend up the babys food yet cuz i got home really late. Instead I gave him his RC Persian wet food (mousse texture) and idk why but he only wants to eat it when it's off my fingers and not from the plate. Also could u tell me wat buprenorphine is, so i can tell the doctors in case they dk wat it is. They probably do but maybe just not the english word. idk just in case ya know
Buprenorphine is an effective opioid used for pain relief in cats. Cats tolerate this one well. It is sold under a number of brand names but buprenorphine is the generic drug name.

Buprenorphine

What Is Buprenorphine Used for in Cats? | Catster

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 so they're somewhat like pain killers? Aight i'll ask for that n bring up Buprenorphine as well. Thank youu
They are pain-killers. If he eats with a pain-killer, then you can presume he has pain. Probably dental pain. If he doesn’t eat with the painkiller though, consider that inconclusive. Every cat is different and some cats don’t have much of an appetite on buprenorphine.