Cat vomited white foam and gagging while eating. What could be the reason?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

One of the stray cats that I started feeding recently seems to be feeling unwell. When I fed her today, as she was licking the gravy, she vomited the gravy back up with saliva that seems like white foam. The vomiting sound was loud. She seems active despite that tho. No nausea sign when she's not eating. The food isn't expired. I went back to check on her twice. She managed to ate some food. I added in some probiotics and hairball gel into her food for her. And once again, she's showing sign of nausea while eating but at least, she still manage to keep the food down compared to earlier on.

I spoke to her other feeder about it. Her feeder told me that when she was changing and cleaning the water bowl during yesterday night, she smells hand wash soap kinda of fragrance in the cat water bowl. She suspect that some passerby purposely pour hand wash soap into the water bowl.

She suspect that the cat might had drank the water.

I'm also suspecting that could it be that there's something stuck in her throat? As it puzzled me on why is she only gagging when she's eating. Or could it be that she's having gastritis?

I'm gonna continue to monitor her and if she doesn't seems to get better tomorrow, I'll speak to her other feeder, and bring her to the vet.

Anyone ever have this happened to your cat before? Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a 14 year old indoor only who is in good health for her age. She will vomit foamy saliva after eating from time to time. Her recent physical ruled out many of the causes of this such as parasites, thyroid conditions, kidney disease, liver problems. In her case it is very intermittent and stops for weeks, so the assumption is that it is indigestion, a possible hairball, or an upset stomach. Could it be gastritis...yes.

I hope that no one is bothering your cats; if what you suspect is true, you may have figured out the reason although cats will often refuse to eat or drink something that smells off to them...such as soap in their water.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Start checking their bowls multiple times a day to make sure its clean.. smell it and look for any coloring, or bubbles when stirred. If anything seems off , change the bowl spot immediately to somewhere more hidden. They will be able to find it by smell, but might deter whoever is messing with the bowls.
There are certain liquids which are toxic to them but attracts them to drink it. To be safe i rather not say what they are

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old indoor only who is in good health for her age. She will vomit foamy saliva after eating from time to time. Her recent physical ruled out many of the causes of this such as parasites, thyroid conditions, kidney disease, liver problems. In her case it is very intermittent and stops for weeks, so the assumption is that it is indigestion, a possible hairball, or an upset stomach. Could it be gastritis...yes.

I hope that no one is bothering your cats; if what you suspect is true, you may have figured out the reason although cats will often refuse to eat or drink something that smells off to them...such as soap in their water.
I just went to check on her again, she managed to finish one 80 grams canned food without retching while eating. No sign of nausea anymore. I gave her some probiotics as well. Hopefully that'll help her ease her tummy. I noticed that she's have diarrhoea as well. But one good thing is that she's not vomiting anymore. Hopefully the pumpkin cat canned food and probiotics will be able to help her. If she's not better by tomorrow, I'll try to schedule her an appointment with the vet.