Cat Vocalizing Before Pooping - Constipated?

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am a relatively new cat owner and am wondering if the experts on this site can help shed light on this possible problem!

I have a 7 month old ragdoll kitten who has recently started to meow loudly right before she poops. Her poops are solid and dark brown and don’t appear too dry (sorry if gross lol). Could she be constipated? How can I tell if it’s errr...normal level of effort.

There’s been no change to her litter box location/type of litter etc or food. She’s on an all wet food diet, with dry food maybe once a week in a treat dispenser (per vet recommendation).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am a relatively new cat owner and am wondering if the experts on this site can help shed light on this possible problem!

I have a 7 month old ragdoll kitten who has recently started to meow loudly right before she poops. Her poops are solid and dark brown and don’t appear too dry (sorry if gross lol). Could she be constipated? How can I tell if it’s errr...normal level of effort.

There’s been no change to her litter box location/type of litter etc or food. She’s on an all wet food diet, with dry food maybe once a week in a treat dispenser (per vet recommendation).
One or two of mine do this sometimes. They sound like they're dying. IDK why, but if she's producing, she's not technically constipated, so that's good news =)
A good way to tell (if you can) is use a plastic bag or a doggy poop bag. Open the bag, slide it over your hand, and scoop with your hand protected by the bag, then turn it inside out and tie it shut for disposal.
This IME is the best way to be able to tell if it's too solid or hard.
(I hope you're not eating as you're reading!) =D
How long does she spend in the box, roughly? Does she strain, strain, strain, cry, then go, or does she hop in, assume the position, yell a little then go?
How often does she poop and how much, per day (roughly) does she eat?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, is there any chance she's gotten poop stuck in her fur before, or does this happen sometimes? Some cats are SO clean that poop = weird thing that latches onto their rear ends and it seems like it grosses them out. One of my fluffy cats is a box-bolter. He'll poop then shoot out like a cannon because he's routinely gotten turds stuck in his back leg floof and HATES it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh the things we are willing to do for our cats lol. How smushy should the poop be? I will try to the smush test.

She basically meows a lot, then hops in the box and does her thing, buries, then bolts. She poops once per day now. She went through a growth spurt (?) before where she was eating like 7-8 oz per day and pooping 2-3 times daily! Currently she eats about 6 ounces of wet food per day. I feed her as much as she wants because I heard that you can't overfeed kittens?

Yes when she was a 5 months old she had a bout of diarrhea because I switched food too quickly. She would also get poop on her paws while trying to bury it. But thankfully that phase is over!

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm also concerned because it's getting hotter and I'm not sure she's getting enough water.

She has a water fountain but I literally never see her drinking out of it. The water level goes down but that could be because of evaporation? I tried to do the shoulder blade skin test but she's so fluffy I couldn't tell haha.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the things we are willing to do for our cats lol. How smushy should the poop be? I will try to the smush test.

She basically meows a lot, then hops in the box and does her thing, buries, then bolts. She poops once per day now. She went through a growth spurt (?) before where she was eating like 7-8 oz per day and pooping 2-3 times daily! Currently she eats about 6 ounces of wet food per day. I feed her as much as she wants because I heard that you can't overfeed kittens?

Yes when she was a 5 months old she had a bout of diarrhea because I switched food too quickly. She would also get poop on her paws while trying to bury it. But thankfully that phase is over!
This may be a litter box thing, if she meows BEFORE hopping in the box, then bolts. And since she had some diarrhea stuff and had poop on her paws, she may have decided the odds of smashing poop into your paws is great.
Just scoop the box CONSTANTLY and keep it clean. I failed this and now have a cat that avoids the box a lot.
An article I wish I'd had!
The Litter Box From Your Cat’s Point of View
She's a kid yet, so if you're diligent she should realize that the box isn't a bad thing =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm also concerned because it's getting hotter and I'm not sure she's getting enough water.

She has a water fountain but I literally never see her drinking out of it. The water level goes down but that could be because of evaporation? I tried to do the shoulder blade skin test but she's so fluffy I couldn't tell haha.
If she's eating a lot of wet food, I wouldn't be too concerned unless you notice other problems. Several of my cats are really poor drinkers and cats have a low thirst drive for water, but if she's getting moisture rich diet you should be OK!
Next time your at your vets for whatever reason, ask them to show you the shoulder blade test. They should be happy to help!

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks! that's reassuring to hear that some cats are not big drinkers. I will definitely try to keep her litter box as clean as possible.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat meows loudly before pooping. Has been this ever since I got him. Eats well, plays well. If he doesnt eat canned food, then i leave some dry food and a packet of stew/bisque.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine always announces poops and declares them after.

As long as the meowing isn’t during pooping and he’s not going in and out of the box without producing anything.

You can add extra water to the wet food if you’re worried about moisture intake.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. It’s reassuring to know this is not immediately a red flag. I’ll add some water to her wet food and see how that goes - good idea.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. It’s reassuring to know this is not immediately a red flag. I’ll add some water to her wet food and see how that goes - good idea.
Any updates, S socaffeinated ? (Love the user name, BTW!)
Never thought you'd see the day you'd be intensely monitoring and updating cat poop, did you? =) Well, neither did I but here we are, LOL!!
As you said...what we won't do...

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any updates, S socaffeinated ? (Love the user name, BTW!)
Never thought you'd see the day you'd be intensely monitoring and updating cat poop, did you? =) Well, neither did I but here we are, LOL!!
As you said...what we won't do...
Thanks! Coffee and cats are among the world’s greatest treasures aren’t they.

Anyway, I do believe I have found the problem actually! She pooped with no meowing today.

I was in my bathroom racking my brain trying to figure out what’s different when I realized that I had recently started to store the bag of litter near one corner of the box. The box was still accessible from other sides, but that apparently is a very special corner !? I moved the bag of litter and boom no meowing before pooping today!:flail:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy Milo always meows Really really loud before he goes poop. He has always done that so it’s completely normal for him. As long as your kitten is not meowing during pooping and goes regularly I’d say you’re probably ok.