Cat viciously attacked me

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story...

So I have an eight year old cat I hand raised from a very young kitten. She has a history of aggressive behavior towards me that started suddenly at 14 months. I was very angry and yelling (not at her) and just making a lot of noise. She suddenly launched herself at me, clawing and howling. My leg was clawed and bleeding. I got her off and closed myself in my bedroom and I could hear her howling outside the room for a while. Then later it was like nothing happened.
It happened maybe three more times over the years, and I didn't know what the trigger was then, as I was not making any noise or doing anything unusual before it happened. It just seemed like if she got very spooked by something and I was nearby, she would attack me badly, clawing and yowling. I have scars on my legs. She occasionally hisses and scratches my boyfriend or mom but she's never attacked anyone like she does with me.
When she is calm and in a good mood she can be sweet and affectionate and likes to spend most of her time in my bedroom with me. But regardless, those attacks have basically given me PTSD and I have always kept one eye on her. She sometimes acts spooked and walks around low to the ground, looking around as if searching for a threat.

The vet put her on Prozac and gabapentin, and she didn't attack me for two and a half years. We just moved to a new house three weeks ago, and I'm expecting a baby next month. I know that's a lot of change and stress, so I increased her dose. But the gabapentin seems to have lost some effectiveness, as she gets crazy and runs around the house most afternoons around 2pm. She hisses at us sometimes too. She seems just "off" at certain times and it makes me nervous to be around her, even medicated.

Today she attacked me again suddenly after more than two years. My mom was moving stuff around in her bedroom closet, she dropped something and yelled in annoyance. The cat was not even in the same room. She came walking quickly and low to the ground into my bedroom where I was. I knew by the way she was approaching me what was going to happen. I grabbed my laundry bag and tried to keep it between us but she launched herself at me at started clawing me and howling. My leg is gouged and bleeding. I screamed and shoved her off me and shut myself in the bathroom. She stood outside the door howling. My mom shut her in her bedroom but she got out. She is quiet now but I am locked in another bedroom until my boyfriend gets home. He is going to put her in a crate because I am terrified that she will attack me again if she sees me. I'm too afraid to even go downstairs and use the bathroom.

What can I possibly do? I love her but I am afraid to be around her now. I can't live in fear of an attack, and now that's she's started again I feel she might continue. Like I said, I am due to give birth and I'm scared she'll get worse with a baby around, and may even be a danger to him. The thought of putting her to sleep breaks my heart, but I don't know what to do. I can't go on living in fear.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats respond to yelling or anything that scares them to the person closest by.. nothing wrong with her so no need to have her euthanized., find her a home. Also cats can tell like people how they feel by their body language. So don't look afraid. Talk about it with your mom. Get her fostered. Having a baby might bother her.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is definitely something wrong with her. Normal cats don't react like that even if they're scared. She has plenty of room to run and hide if she's scared but she attacked instead. My boyfriend put her in a crate and she completely lost her mind, screaming and trying to bite him. She is quietly growling now with a towel over the cage. I am traumatized and terrified.

emc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same thing happen years ago with my cat. Unfortunately the end result was not what I wanted but what the Vet said made sense. You never know what is going to set them off. I had over 100 cuts and bites and ended up in the hospital. Cat bites and scratches are very dangerous. I wish you luck.

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen years ago with my cat. Unfortunately the end result was not what I wanted but what the Vet said made sense. You never know what is going to set them off. I had over 100 cuts and bites and ended up in the hospital. Cat bites and scratches are very dangerous. I wish you luck.
Thank you. Did your cat have a diagnosis?

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is definitely something wrong with her. Normal cats don't react like that even if they're scared. She has plenty of room to run and hide if she's scared but she attacked instead. My boyfriend put her in a crate and she completely lost her mind, screaming and trying to bite him. She is quietly growling now with a towel over the cage. I am traumatized and terrified.
As others have said, get her fostered. Not all cats are the same, it doesn’t make her abnormal. It’s seems your household might not be the best fit and something is triggering her. Please don’t get it euthanized. You took on the responsibility of adopting her, you are obligated to try and help. I can’t think of any cat who would enjoy being suddenly trapped, crated and toweled.

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so how do you go about rehoming a potentially dangerous cat? Who is going to be willing to take her in? I have never been faced with this kind of situation.

emc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Did your cat have a diagnosis?
There was no diagnosis. They are cats, who knows what they are thinking? Over the years I have heard from people that I know personally and have read stories of this same thing happening. What hurtingheart said is true, who is going to take her in? You have to be honest if that is the route you choose. Now things may have changed over the years. I would start with my Vet. Maybe there is a med that can be administered. Unfortunately my case didn't turn out as I had wanted it to. I still get sad anytime I think of it. Feel free to reach out.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats are mammals just like us. They have feelings and cannot explain it to you. We have feelings and can talk about it. Hope this helps

• Purraise
Reactions: emc

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so how do you go about rehoming a potentially dangerous cat? Who is going to be willing to take her in? I have never been faced with this kind of situation.
She needs a quiet home. Just her and someone else to take care of her

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are no cat rescue organizations where you live? Plenty of fosters will take in feral cats who odds are worst behaved and traumatized than a house cat like yours. I’m not saying your cat doesn’t have major behavioral issues but most longtime fosters I wager are versed in such temperaments and would want to help versus unnecessary euthanasia. I would post and reach out to every foster organization in your immediate area and hope someone reaches out. In the meantime, just try to keep your cat separate and comfortable, I’m sure she senses the fear.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be great if there was someone willing to take her and work with her. But so far no one is.
I would take her if I didn't have 3 cats. If you live in us post her on next door. Just don't say she's dangerous. Good luck to her and you!