Cat very loose stools - why? Not parasites, not food change And the stools smell bad!

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone:

My 2 year old cat Punky has very loose stools. He had two fecal tests for parasites, one 6 months ago, one 3 weeks ago, including testing for giardia and the tests came back negative.

What could be the reason?

Oh, and his stools STINK! In fact, I have to clean the litter boxes (dump the litter, clean the box) once a week because the litter smells awful if I don't. (I scoop twice a day - minimum). And I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter (unscented).

He's a young cat, very active. Not skinny a all now - although he was on the slighter side of normal when I first adopted him 6 months ago.

I don't know much about his background. He was a very friendly homeless cat that sort of followed the neighborhood cats to my door for a free meal a year ago. He wasn't feral - more like homeless waif .

So after about 6 months, I had him vaccinated, neutered & gave him a forever home. I wasn't looking for another cat - but one came looking for me :)

He had blood tests prior to surgery & was given a clean bill of health.

But something is wrong.

I am taking another stool sample for testing tomorrow - complete & more than just parasites.

But your advice would be appreciated.

Knicks2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be Tritrichomonas foetus — apparently up to 30% of cats have it but it often goes undetected and is sub-clinical, but can wax and wane quite a bit and linger for years. Symptoms include diarrhea and a very smelly stool, but otherwise doesn’t have much impact on underlying health. Supposedly many tests won’t show it unless you get a more intensive pcr test. Just a thought, but something to potentially ask about and look into (most importantly it’s treatable and not harmful to their overall health thankfully).

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know you said you haven't changed his food, but maybe that could be a factor? Perhaps his stomach doesn't agree with whatever you are feeding him. You could try feeding him a bland diet of some boiled chicken for a day or two to see if the loose stools clear up. No longer than two days though, as chicken is an incomplete diet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask for a Diarrhea PCR panel for that stool sample. Many vets perform the cheaper fecal float test that doesn't test for bacterial infections like TF and clostridium.

If his poops have always been loose and stinky and this isn't some change from some normal, then he could have a rare condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. In EPI cats, the pancreas doesn't produce enough digestive enzymes. It's easy enough to treat. But you want to use prescription animal-derived digestive enzymes, not the plant-based ones sold in pet stores. If you're bringing him back in to the vet, ask them to take blood for the fTLI test. It's not a standard test which is why it may have been overlooked so far. Or just ask them to test for EPI. It's their job to know which tests to order.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you said you haven't changed his food, but maybe that could be a factor? Perhaps his stomach doesn't agree with whatever you are feeding him. You could try feeding him a bland diet of some boiled chicken for a day or two to see if the loose stools clear up. No longer than two days though, as chicken is an incomplete diet.
No, diet isn't a factor. I have already had ruled it out.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask for a Diarrhea PCR panel for that stool sample. Many vets perform the cheaper fecal float test that doesn't test for bacterial infections like TF and clostridium.

If his poops have always been loose and stinky and this isn't some change from some normal, then he could have a rare condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. In EPI cats, the pancreas doesn't produce enough digestive enzymes. It's easy enough to treat. But you want to use prescription animal-derived digestive enzymes, not the plant-based ones sold in pet stores. If you're bringing him back in to the vet, ask them to take blood for the fTLI test. It's not a standard test which is why it may have been overlooked so far. Or just ask them to test for EPI. It's their job to know which tests to order.
I am bringing him in today in 2 hours. I will ask them about this. Thank you do much!

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Purrfect suggestion on the Diarrhea PCR panel. That's EXACTLY what the vet wanted to do too. Thank you so much - you posted this & then the vet suggested this - I knew what the vet was talking about.

You are so smart! Thank you.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purrfect suggestion on the Diarrhea PCR panel. That's EXACTLY what the vet wanted to do too. Thank you so much - you posted this & then the vet suggested this - I knew what the vet was talking about.

You are so smart! Thank you.
Vet also prescribed Flagyl.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he test for EPI? Or is he going to run the PCR panel first and see what that comes back with?

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ran the diarrhea panel 1st. The test results will be back beginning of next week.