Cat Vaccination

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi TCS members ,
I post alot here cz members are really helpful so here's my problem
I have 4 cats , they are 1,5 and 1 yrs old , they didn't get the full booster series of vaccination , I got them when they were older than 5 months and my previous vet who is absolutely unprofessional (he caused the death for one of my cats ) said they are old for vaccination so I didn't vaccinate them but now after changing my vet and rethinking abt alot of things , I think I have to vaccinate (FvRCP and rabies ) them but I am also anxious if there's any risk as they are not kittens anymore or will their immunity system respond to vaccination or it will be useless , I am lost and Idk if anyone experienced this before and can give me an advice
P.s I thought abt panleukopenia titre test before vaccination but it's not available in my area !!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since I only deal with strays and ferals, I often have been faced with providing medical care for an older cat.

First of all, I am glad that you changed vets since you had a bad experience with the previous one. As I am understanding you, he did not vaccinate your cats at all?

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Do Indoor-only Cats Need Rabies Shots? – TheCatSite Articles
Are Booster Vaccines Necessary for Cats?

The short answer....I give my cats FCRCP and rabies. I do not do the optional ones but that is not saying that cats do not need them and it is something you would have to decide. I have vaccinated older cats with no issues. As far as booster vaccines, there is debate about how often a dog or cat needs to be given a booster, but that is also something for you and your new vet to discuss. I do give booster vaccines as well.

My cats never go outdoors. Any cat who does needs vaccines in my opinion. As for the rabies vaccine, if your cats could come in contact with an animal who is rabid, which might depend on your geographic area, it is absolutely necessary. Some states have rabies vaccine rules for cats and it could be important to be able to prove that your cats have that vaccine if something happened like a bat got in the house, etc.

I tried to get a rabies waiver for my dog because of health issues and treatment with immunotherapy and was turned down. I did give him the vaccine and he was fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I only deal with strays and ferals, I often have been faced with providing medical care for an older cat.

First of all, I am glad that you changed vets since you had a bad experience with the previous one. As I am understanding you, he did not vaccinate your cats at all?

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Do Indoor-only Cats Need Rabies Shots? – TheCatSite Articles
Are Booster Vaccines Necessary for Cats?

The short answer....I give my cats FCRCP and rabies. I do not do the optional ones but that is not saying that cats do not need them and it is something you would have to decide. I have vaccinated older cats with no issues. As far as booster vaccines, there is debate about how often a dog or cat needs to be given a booster, but that is also something for you and your new vet to discuss. I do give booster vaccines as well.

My cats never go outdoors. Any cat who does needs vaccines in my opinion. As for the rabies vaccine, if your cats could come in contact with an animal who is rabid, which might depend on your geographic area, it is absolutely necessary. Some states have rabies vaccine rules for cats and it could be important to be able to prove that your cats have that vaccine if something happened like a bat got in the house, etc.

I tried to get a rabies waiver for my dog because of health issues and treatment with immunotherapy and was turned down. I did give him the vaccine and he was fine.
Thank u so much for ur help , my current vet said we will give them 2 doses 21 days apart and then booster dose every 2-3 yrs so I think thats what I am going to do
My cat are all indoors they never get in contact w any other animals but if vaccination will benefit them ofc I will do it

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TCS members ,
I post alot here cz members are really helpful so here's my problem
I have 4 cats , they are 1,5 and 1 yrs old , they didn't get the full booster series of vaccination , I got them when they were older than 5 months and my previous vet who is absolutely unprofessional (he caused the death for one of my cats ) said they are old for vaccination so I didn't vaccinate them but now after changing my vet and rethinking abt alot of things , I think I have to vaccinate (FvRCP and rabies ) them but I am also anxious if there's any risk as they are not kittens anymore or will their immunity system respond to vaccination or it will be useless , I am lost and Idk if anyone experienced this before and can give me an advice
P.s I thought abt panleukopenia titre test before vaccination but it's not available in my area !!
They can be vaxed at any age as long as they are not sick etc. if they had one or two vac series they may need only a booster depending on how long ago it was. Rabies is required in most states and the yearly is supposed to be safer. Tri viral vac is essential and is every 3 years now after the first series. Felv is one shot, then the booster 3 weeks later. Then once per year.

I recommend rabies for indoor cats as well because if they ever bite someone or escape etc. or a potentially rabid animal enters your home such as a bat you will need proof of vaccination.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
An additional note I learned regarding the Rabies vaccine - it is mandatory in our state. If the cat is not up to date with their Rabies vaccine, goes to the vet for any reason and either bites or scratches the vet, vet tech, etc. by state law they have to report it and quarantine the cat for 10 days. 😱

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An additional note I learned regarding the Rabies vaccine - it is mandatory in our state. If the cat is not up to date with their Rabies vaccine, goes to the vet for any reason and either bites or scratches the vet, vet tech, etc. by state law they have to report it and quarantine the cat for 10 days. 😱
In our state If cat is not utd it can be quarantined at ac. If it is utd but bites etc it can still be quarantined at home if possible rabies exposure is suspected.