Cat V Kitten

Hamna436

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this a bit of a general question.

Do kittens tend to be more friendly towards people than cats?

Because I know that if cats weren’t handled much as kittens then they don’t grow up to be too fond of humans. My one year old cat isn’t very good with petting, but does like to be in our presence. Do you think it could be because she wasn’t handled much as a kitten, or is that just her genes?

My neighbor’s cat seems to like me more than my own cat, and I’ve only met him once. It is quite saddening, but I still love my kitty.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats, like people, vary greatly in how they like physical contact and even personality. I have one who was feral until she was 4 months old, no human contact whatsoever. Now, at 3 years old, she will demand petting until your hand falls off. My boy, who lost his mother at 5 weeks old, has been with me since he was orphaned. Growing up he frequently fell asleep on top of me and always wants to be nearby. But he will bite if you try to pet him when he isn't in the mood for petting. Two cats, same household, different personalities.

Even though my girl never got pet, she's come to love it. While my boy had all the love and affection from a young age, he'd rather not unless he feels like it and then just a short period of time.

I've also seen kittens from the same litter who vary on how much human affection they want. It really just depends on them. There may be some deep psychological reason if cats went to the shrink but I think in many cases its just a personal preferance and personality thing.

iamcasey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My newbie opinion, cats are sometimes just like a human, have a wide range of personalities, it really depends on how the cat is being treated and also the environment that the cat being raise. Sometimes a stray cat, even though it is just the first time we met, it feels like the cat knows me for a long time, but sometimes a stray cat just does not ever get close and run away immediately when seeing a human.