Cat UTI and crystals

Carrot12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I am heartbroken. My friend's male cat had a severe UTI and was at the vet all week-end with a catheter, IV and antibiotics. They released him Monday evening without fluids. He came back to my friend and was dehydrated about half day later. She went and got some fluids at the vet. They knew he hadn't slept in 3 days and wasn't eating much. She gave him the fluids and he finally slept, but then he passed away after she rushed him to the ER from a heart attack. I know this is hard to read, but I've been crying all day. He was only 9. I don't understand how a cat can be released back to his owner and then pass away like that, 24 hours later. They had flushed crystals from his urethra, so he should have been fine. But besides antibiotics, and some muscle relaxant that the vet prescribed to "help him pee", he came back ok for a half day then started having trouble. I've had lots of cats and never seen this happen before so suddenly. It usually takes 2-3 days to pass for a cat with kidney issues. Why did they release him without precaution? And while he was at the vet, there was no technician during the night. Did he really get fluids there? What happened? We will probably never know. Has anyone been through something similar? And I had never heard of a muscle relaxant to help a cat with a severe UTI. None of this makes sense to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for what has happened, and have no concrete answers to anything. There are just too many variables - and, probably other things going on as well that weren't necessarily being addressed at the time.

But, I did want to offer this - giving what you call a 'muscle relaxant' to a cat with urinary tract issues is fairly common. It is normally what they call an anti-spasmodic to relax the muscles from contracting so it doesn't constrict the flow of urine. Inflammation and infection, and sometimes even a catheter, can cause spasms in the urethra, and the bladder.

I hope other members can come along and offer their input. Again, my condolences to you and your friend :alright: - and especially to poor kitty. RIP little man. :angel3:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss and the fact that he passed so unexpectedly and suddenly raises so much pain and so many questions. There are a lot of variables with any situation like this and probably all are specific to that particular animal. One of my favorite all time cats had kidney disease and was being treated for it ongoing. One day, as usual, he was sleeping on my bed for most of the day while a workman was at the house, and when I walked back into the room later he was clearly a different cat and I was forced to make the decision to release him later that night at the ER. Sometimes these things move very quickly which makes it all the harder.