Cat Using Bathroom On Bed

Flynnmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am completely unaware of what to do with my new cat. He’s 1 year old, and I recently adopted him from the shelter two weeks ago. The second day he was home he peed in my bed. I figured this was just from the stress of living somewhere new that I cleaned my bed and didn’t think anything of it, especially since he had used the litter box multiple times before that. Since then, this has become a serious issue.

He started peeing on my bed everyday, sometimes even twice a day. I’d clean it throughougly every time but he still went. It started off only when I was gone so i figured it was separation anxiety so, with my vets recommendation, I got a tarp for my bed to cover it while I was not home. Nothing has improved since then, if anything he has gone more times with the tarp than without, but has made clean up a lot easier. He’s even started pooping on it.

I’ve tried sooooo many different things in order to get him to stop. I’ve tried the tarp, I have tried getting him a second litter box with a new type of litter- the one they used at the shelter (which he has not used once), I have tried to keep his food on my bed while I am not home, I even tried buying him bottled water because someone at work told me their cat wouldn’t drink tap water. I have also tried a calming collar which not only did not work, but he ripped it right off anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’d stop him from going in my room altogether but I have a housemate and i would feel awful if he started peeing on couches or even worse, her bed so all of him and all of his stuff is contained in my room while I am not home. He is my first cat and it is so frustrating and heart breaking having to deal with this because I am completely out of ideas. He is such a great cat otherwise and returning him to shelter really is not an option but I am at a loss of hope. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flynnmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding. So she did not, she just seemed to think that it was a behavioral problem and brushed off my concern. He is also pooping on the bed so I wouldn’t think it was a UTI but I could try taking him to another vet. The only reason I have been holding off is because it is costly and since he is pooping as well I don’t want there to be nothing wrong and I have done something else to waste money on not fixing his problems. He was also returned to the shelter after he was adopted so I’m starting to think this is why.

Flynnmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your vet perform a urinalysis or any blood work? Inappropriate urination can be a sign of other underlying health issues, like a UTI or kidney problems.

When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Thanks for responding. So she did not, she just seemed to think that it was a behavioral problem and brushed off my concern. He is also pooping on the bed so I wouldn’t think it was a UTI but I could try taking him to another vet. The only reason I have been holding off is because it is costly and since he is pooping as well I don’t want there to be nothing wrong and I have done something else to waste money on not fixing his problems. He was also returned to the shelter after he was adopted so I’m starting to think this is why.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try adding some canned food every day to his diet and see if that helps.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the moisture in it helps the pee and poop come out without hurting. If they are in pain while going pee or poop, they can avoid the litterbox.

Flynnmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the moisture in it helps the pee and poop come out without hurting. If they are in pain while going pee or poop, they can avoid the litterbox.
Great to know I will try this. Thanks again

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed on the canned food!
Also, I wonder if this isn't a marking issue.
I don't know about cats, but dogs will mark with pee OR poop. We have acreage, but our dogs seem to realize our property line and will crap RIGHT on the property line. I've read they're telling potential intruders/predators that this area is theirs and to stay the heck away.
I wonder if somehow this guy isn't marking YOU, your scent, as our beds/bedding carries a lot of scent. One of our pups decided one day to pee on our bed when he was about 8 months old (sexual maturity). A few years ago, a new female cat of ours peed on our bed while I was right there as if to say "MINE!" (she peed when I was right there, telling me she had no idea this was "Wrong".)
It's charming in a way that they're so attached to us that they're doing the only thing they can to say "this person is MINE, I LURVE them" but...frustration.
Ugh, we've gone through so many mattresses, LOL.
I wonder if washing your bedding really well in hot water and cleaning your mattress with Natures Miracle and maybe misting it with their no more marking spray would help...IF this is a marking issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: I'm so sorry you're having litter box avoidance trouble with your new cat.

If your vet has ruled out a medical problem, an idea I've read about, but not enough to recommend is Crate Training. Might be something to look into.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
did you clean your bed with Nature's Miracle? If not do that right away. Also try plugging in some Feliway