Cat urine odor removal

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that there are very good, but expensive odor elimination products on the market that work well. But if you don't have any on hand and have a problem that needs fixing NOW! then this home-made recipe may work for you.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm

I believe I have all the ingredients at home. Dusty has always been a bit of a problem kitty peeing on the carpet. Unfortunately our home is a very open floor plan and I cannot keep her out of the area that she chooses as her place to pee. Part of the problem is that she was an outside adult cat when we got her, and she still likes to be out much of the time. So if she is inside and we aren't home and can't let her out when she wants, she will use the living room carpet, much to my dismay. I will put out another litter box too, and see if that helps.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you don't read the threads where people have unsuccessfully tried that? It doesn' t work because it doesn't break down the componet that causes the urine to smell.

Call dog groomers and see if they have anything. Call vets. Make a trip, gas is still cheaper than new carpet. Or order off of Amazon that usually has good deals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I guess you don't read the threads where people have unsuccessfully tried that? It doesn' t work because it doesn't break down the componet that causes the urine to smell.

Call dog groomers and see if they have anything. Call vets. Make a trip, gas is still cheaper than new carpet. Or order off of Amazon that usually has good deals.
Do you know what the active ingredient is that breaks down the urine? That would be important information to determine how much of that magical ingredient is actually in the product purchased. The last product I purchased was from my local janitorial supply store.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its the enzymes (protein catalysts) added to it. Thats why they're referred to as enzyme cleaners…
I'm sure different brands use slightly different combinations or percentages of them which affects how well they seem to work. This is also why there are specific cleaners to clean up other biological materials - like blood and vomit. As most people should know, bleach and house hold cleaners won't break down blood very well, this is how people get caught even if they try to clean up a crime scene.

Like wise, household products may clean a urine stain to a degree that we don't think it's still there, but what we think doesn't matter if the cat still smells the urine.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had a number of customers at the store I work at tell me that they heard straight hydrogen peroxide will eliminate the smell. They are not happy with me when I tell them that they have bad information and they need to use a cleaner that breaks down the enzymes in the urine. I see that this recipe uses hydrogen peroxide. I can't figure out how they think it will help, other than add a bubbling effect to the recipe.

Things can mask the smell to people's sense of smell, but a cat can smell things we can't begin to smell. Gotta use something that breaks down the enzymes.

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried a number of commercial enzyme products over the years, and none of them work. I follow the directions to a T. I can *always* smell urine after I use them, even multiple times, so I know the cats can still smell it.

If anyone can recommend a specific brand that actually works, I'm all ears. *Especially* if you know of one that is UNSCENTED. I do not want my carpet smelling like peaches, flowers, or anything. Peach-scented cat pee is the worst.

If I ever buy a house, I think I'm going to rip up all the carpet and install linoleum.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kat013

I've tried a number of commercial enzyme products over the years, and none of them work. I follow the directions to a T. I can *always* smell urine after I use them, even multiple times, so I know the cats can still smell it.

If anyone can recommend a specific brand that actually works, I'm all ears. *Especially* if you know of one that is UNSCENTED. I do not want my carpet smelling like peaches, flowers, or anything. Peach-scented cat pee is the worst.

If I ever buy a house, I think I'm going to rip up all the carpet and install linoleum.
Nok Out has worked better than the store bought brands. It still has a smell that makes me think urine when I smell it. Sometimes I wonder if it's a psychological issue than actual urine smell after using the cleaners.

The recipe in the OP does work IF they don't go back and mark again. It works great at removing old stains like wine or cat throw up. I used this when we got a new dining room table and saw the rug in a new light.