Cat Urine In Blood

jenna888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, and would appreciate any advice those of you with similar cat health issues might offer. I was away from home for 3 weeks, and had my roommate watch my cat Gus during this time. Gus was a feral kitten I rescued about 2 years ago, and he's generally afraid of people/strangers (other than me); however, with me living with the roommate for a year, he has gotten used to her presence to the point where he'll sometimes play with toys she manipulates and doesn't hide when she enters the room.

Anyway, the roommate said everything was fine with Gus while I was away (except he was mopey and he vomited once--I thought it might be due to stress and was only a one-time occurrence according to my roommate). But when I came back (first week back), one night the door shut while Gus and I were sleeping (windy night), and he peed in my clothes. I noticed there was a lot of blood.

Took him to the vet where they did a urinalysis, which came back positive for bacterial cystitis (cocci bacteria). He was on clavamox for two weeks and pain meds for 1 week, which seems to have cleared up the infection but there is still a lot of blood in the urine. I took him to the vet again (after the 2 weeks on clavamox), and they did another urinalysis (little amount of bacteria, lots of blood cells), a urine culture (negative), and an Xray of his bladder and urethra (no stones or irregularities). They have no idea what's causing the bleeding, and want me to bring him in for blood work, a clotting test, and potentially a ultrasound of his kidney and bladder.

But the thing is, other than the blood in the urine, Gus has been completely fine (urinating normally in the litter box--without straining--2-4 times per day, eating dry food well and trying some of the wet food I'm trying to get him to eat more of, drinking a normal amount). He has none of the symptoms for a clotting disorder or uric acid bladder stones (which don't show up on Xrays). At this point, I've already spent $500, and the things the vet suggested will cost even more than that and seems like a wild goose chase I can't afford.

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to give a thorough and clear picture/history before I sought advice. He still has blood in his urine (for 3.5 weeks now), and I don't know what to do. I don't want to put him through the stress of unnecessary tests or put myself under the financial stress of spending more money only to have tests showing nothing wrong. Any advice?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm positive that if there's blood in his urine, there's no way that nothing is wrong.

If it were my cat (I understand your money issue), I'd probably go for the bloodwork first, the ultrasound second, and the clotting test last. If your cat hasn't had bloodwork in the last year, it's good to get that done anyway.

You could try to find a "country vet" that doesn't charge as much as "city vets" for something as basic as bloodwork, and it's possible that a university with a veterinary program near you might have lower rates if a student does the work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenna888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've only finished one year of med school, but from my (limited) understanding, wouldn't blood work only show if he is anemic (no physical signs according to vet) and kidney function (which looked fine on the x-ray and since Gus's appetite, urination frequency and amount, urine pH and specific gravity are fine, I'm inclined to think are functioning normally).

And since we've ruled out struvite and calcium oxalate stones with the x-ray and uric acid stones are very rare, I have a feeling the ultrasound will also show us nothing new. It's been frustrating spending money I don't have to only have the vets say they don't know what's causing the hematuria; I want to avoid paying for tests that are most likely going to be negative/won't show anything new. Honestly, I feel a bit taken advantage of with these vets--they know how much I love Gus and, maybe it's not the case, but it seems like they are just running tests without a strategy to make money.

Last edited:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only finished one year of med school, but from my (limited) understanding, wouldn't blood work only show if he is anemic (no physical signs according to vet) and kidney function (which looked fine on the x-ray and since Gus's appetite, urination frequency and amount, urine pH and specific gravity are fine, I'm inclined to think are functioning normally).
Bloodwork can reveal other issues-- it's important to establish a baseline. If her cat has been to the vet and gotten bloodwork done within the last year, then I'd be less inclined to recommend it. Bloodwork works in conjunction with other tests, and can be used to diagnose, or help diagnose, a myriad of diseases (as I'm sure you're aware ;)). The vet wouldn't just look at the red blood cell count and the kidney function...a complete CBC (I consider this to include blood serum chemistry but that's just me...my vet always does both), looks at much more than that.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read your post, and agree with mokapi. I think you can be confident that blood work and an ultrasound of both the lower (includes the bladder) and upper urinary tract (includes the kidneys) will not be done as a "wild goose chase". Clotting tests might help too. A lot of blood in the urine is not a good thing! Other causes could even be that he has an internal injury, or that he's been exposed to things like rat poison (or another "long-acting anticoagulant") by accident.
Can you set up a payment plan with the vet, if needed?