Cat Urine Colour

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clancy hasn’t been grooming as much since he’s been sick, and really smells of urine.

I decided to give him a gentle wipe down with a damp towel, and when I did so, noticed that he had this streak of stained fur between his legs that was a bright yellow/orangey. I managed to wash it off. He’s peed since but it doesn’t appear to have happened again.

I’m going to be talking to my vet tomorrow but wondered if anyone has any thoughts about it. He has blood work done last Friday, which was normal.

Possible explanations:

1. Medication? He’s been on pai meds, pepcid, an appetite stimulant, and now prednisone. He hasn’t needed his pain meds since Friday (yay!).

2. Bladder infection? Throughout his illness, he’s not had any trouble peeing and he has never peed outside his litter.

3. Liver Disease: He has a liver biopsy in November when he had his bowel resection and it was normal. (Apparently his liver looked like it has some kind of disease, but I can’t remember which one.) Surgeon and radiologist said his liver is small.

4. Pancreatitis: I’ve not read that it causes coloured urine like this.

5. Lack of hydration: Last week he didn’t eat or drink hardly at all. He was since been rehydrated (in hospital) and is drinking alot due to the pred.

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis per se usually does not cause dark/orangy urine color, but they often do become dehydrated with pancreatitis leading to darker urine. You may be seeing remnants from last week on his fur prior to his being rehydrated. This would be my guess; your Vet tomorrow will provide definite answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis per se usually does not cause dark/orangy urine color, but they often do become dehydrated with pancreatitis leading to darker urine. You may be seeing remnants from last week on his fur prior to his being rehydrated. This would be my guess; your Vet tomorrow will provide definite answer.
That’s the benign and preferred explanation, babiesmom5, and the one I like best. :)