Cat urination problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paul mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the vet said that he wants another urine sample so he wanted us to put some sort of plastic over the bed where she is peeing. BTW, the only place she has been peeing since we started her pain killers and new diet is on the bed. I don't know if it's because she's made that I have to stick something in her mouth to give her medication to her or not.

He didn't seem too concerned that she's urinating so much (4 to 6 times per day) and I'm not sure why.

He restated that he's not sure if this hasn't become behavioral as opposed to medical and suggested that after we get a urine sample to cover the bed in something she doesn't like to make it undesirable to be on it. The issue is that she doesn't mind plastic bags (garbage, shopping, etc...) and really doesn't mind newspapers either. So what else is there?

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of people use foil. Cat's don't like it. Could you close your bedroom door to keep her out? My kitty is spraying everywhere but so far not on furniture (knock on wood).

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may sound really out there.......

When my Muddy was first diagnosed with his chronic bladder issues, he liked to pee on hard cold surfaces (like ceramic tiles). My vet offered the suggestion to make him a litter box with ceramic tiles in the bottom until we got him retrained to use a regular litter box.

Until her health issues have been resolved, you might think about getting some cheap bedding like material and putting that in the litter box next to the bed. Sprinkle some cat attract litter over the top of it so that she still smells the litter in that box. You can gradually reduce the amount of bedding and increase the amount of litter until she is back using the box regularly. You might find a cheap comforter at a thrift store that you could cut up in small pieces so that you have something to use for a while.

Just a thought.

paul mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh WOW! Thanks for those thought! Those are some great ideas!

I have two issues with closing the door to the middle bedroom. #1) This is her space near us on the second floor where the dogs don't go. it is her space. #2) We've tried shutting the door before and she urinated on our clothes and leather couch. Not going for that again, lol... But thank you for that thought! I need all the thoughts I can get at the moment, lol...

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is her litter box on the second floor? I was just wondering if there were times she was skittish about going to the area it's kept in.

paul mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, the second litterbox is in the bathroom across the hall from "her" bedroom. She loves it in there because she loves water dripping from the bath faucet. She's never shy about going in there from what I can tell, in fact she'll push the door open to get in there if she needs to.

Well, she's loving her new watered down food, but she's still urinating in the basement and on the bed. In fact, the frequency has gone up in the past few days! The hard thing is that with all the water in her food I now can barely tell when she has urinated because it's crystal clear.

Still attempting to get a sample to take to the vet.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My guy is going everywhere. But he's marking. A lot.
I'm at a loss.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Paul - there is a thread in the Cat Health forum by Zombiecat on this very subject called Potty trained kittens urinating on bed. You may want to check it out. Good luck...

paul mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick update (knocking on wood while I write this, lol...).

It has been a whole week and no more urination on anything! In fact, she has become even more friendly, wants to be with everyone and lay in the same room that everyone else is in. She's not really showing any fear towards the newest/youngest dog and Thai seems to be for the most part relaxing being around her. Once in a while, he still fixates on her and we have to abruptly get his attention off of her and keep it off of her, but overall he's doing much better and allowing her in and around us.

I really hope that this issue is resolved now! We so could not deal with it any longer as it had been over 4 years of this.