Cat Urinating Outside Of The Litter Box????

MattDermott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese cat is about 2 or 3 years old and he urinates outside the litter box! I've already done some research and he definitely doesn't have a UTI he uses the litter box but only when he wants to. I've noticed that a few times we wouldn't let him on the patio because it's too late at night and he would get upset and find a spot to pee on. Once next to the piano which is right next to the back door another time was right in front of us on the fire place and tonight we brought him inside because it was getting late and he went into the dining room after a few minutes and peed in the corner. Having him put down or putting him up for adoption is NOT an option. He's our sweet boy! He loves cuddles! We have two other cats. A male and a female and he gets a long with them just fine. I have a few conclusions. It could be the feral cats/kittens outside. There's a lot of them and some of them live under the deck in our back yard and even come right up to the screen. It could be the fact that there's only one litter box for three cats. I bought four more litter boxes for them because I read online that you should have one litter box per cat per floor plus one extra. There's three cats and two floors. My mom feels that there shouldn't be that many litter boxes hence why there's just the one. We do keep it clean daily though. My last conclusion is that he's doing it out of spite because maybe we bring him in too early or don't let him out etc. he's an indoor cat because of the other cats, raccoons etc aren't too friendly and we don't want the cats getting hit by a car. The patio is screened in. Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions, info anything?!? It's greatly appreciated! Thanks!

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I didn't read correctly, you bought new litter boxes but aren't using them? Firstly I would put them down, especially in places he is peeing (having extra litter boxes around is way better than having cat pee around!). Try a couple of different litters (but keep a box of the current one or two as well).

Secondly make sure you're cleaning the area's he's peeing with a proper enzymatic cleaner (in Australia BioZet works, but I think overseas there is one called Nature's miracle). Without using an enzymatic cleaner he will keep returning to the same spots. You can often buy cheap blacklights on ebay etc which will show up any and all urine to make sure the stuff you've used has done a good job (and also to make sure you haven't missed any).

It could be a reaction to the strays being in his territory. Is there any way you can at least stop them from coming right up to the door?

Last but not least if nothing else works, sometimes a course of Clomicalm or Prozac from the vet can get them to stop. Some kitties need to be on it for life, others just need a course of it until they stop the behaviour then can go off it again. But first step would be clean well and get those extra litter boxes out.

Hope you get it sorted. I know it's a frustrating issue.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's two floors to the house, maybe he needs a litter box on each floor. Also some cats like to pee in one litter box and poop in another.