Cat Urinating Outside Of Box Given Amitriptyline

litlisa100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
My 16 year old cat Bruno has always unintended outside of his box every once in. Awhile through the years .....his brother passed away on December and he started doing it again ...he got very depressed and wouldn’t eat when we went out ...we got another cat to keep him company .....the other cats name is guiseppe...he is 4 years old .....Bruno tolerated him ...let’s him sit next to him but not touch him ...he will hiss at him sometimes...but no fights .....Bruno is peeing a lot on the rug recently...I took him to the ve5 and there was b bacteria in his urine and the vet gave him an antibiotic… The peeing continues to get worse and now the vet prescribed him Amitriptyline because he thinks it’s behavioral ...5 mg daily ..I started it this past Monday ...I notice he is very tired ...kind of out of it ....drinking water ....he didn’t pee on the rug last night ....has anyone used this medication fir urinating outside the box ?....are these normal side effects of the med? Does it go away once th epicycles gets used to it ?
I will wait until Monday and call my vet ,..but I am thinking this is normal fir the medication

Has anyone tried Jackson galaxys tinctures for scared nervous cats ? It’s holistic
Thank you
Lisa

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most vets are open on Saturday morning. Call the practice and ask them if this is expected behavior. Don't wait until Monday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

litlisa100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most vets are open on Saturday morning. Call the practice and ask them if this is expected behavior. Don't wait until Monday.
I spoke to my vet the same day and he said drowsiness was a normal side effect of the medication until it gets into his system....it has been one week and 2 days ...he is urinating in the litter box again ...no slip ups ....my dr said he will wean him off of the med soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

litlisa100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
drowsiness and dry mouth are definitely side effects of that medication (Dr. Google said so :wink:). Per this thread, there are other medications that others feel are better: Amitriptyline And Behavioral Urination/spraying
Thank you
He has been going on the box to urinate .....the drowsiness has gotten better but he is now constipated from the medication.....I gave him pumpkin and laxatone ...if he doesn’t go by tomorrow morning then I have to bring him in for an enema ...poor guy ....my vet said he would be weaned off this medication...but I’m not sure if it’s too early ...I will consult with him tomorrow....thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy. Seems like every medication has it's trade offs :sigh:. Hopefully you'll get it all squared away eventually and he'll be peeing and pooping (in the right places :wink: ) without any issues.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used this for a short time with my female - she was bullying the other female and we also wanted to see if it would help with her excessive licking ( which was due to severe allergies ). It did make her very sleepy. We only used it for afew months and noticed no changes in her licking so we discontinued it. Peeing outside the litter box sucks! Maybe he had some anxiety and this has helped take the edge off? Have you tried using cat attract in the litter box? I was buying the Dr. Elseys litter with the cat attract already in it with another cat and it worked wonderfully.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's an old tricyclic anti depressant and causes constipation , brake amount in half to wean off or skip one day for stool softening n dash of miralax. 2.5 mg could help..how's it going ? Low dose Valium could help re gain confidence