Cat Urinating outside box

JC fka JClark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so this is the 3rd time the cat has urinated outside the box.

Sept 2020 - Cat had a food issue, was placed on a steroid and prescription diet where he urinated on the bed and couch with one or both of us present. We thought he was diabetic but deduced it was due to the steroids and the high carbohydrate content of the temporary prescription food. Otherwise he was fine health wise.

June 2021 - Cat urinated on couch with both of us present. Seemed constipated because he hadn't used the box that day.. Health wise he checked out ok but we were unable to obtain a urine sample for urinalysis.

July 2021 (2 nights ago) - Cat defected (large amount) in a stairwell and was slinking around like he was trying not to urinate. I grab him and put him in the litter box where he instantly urinated and finished defecating. The litterbox needed to be changed but I had delayed due to being unable to find the litter we normally use.

July 2021 (This morning) - Litterbox changed last night. Cat hadn't used the new litter box and instead urinated in our bed with us in it. Going to try to get a urine sample this afternoon (he always urinates in the carrier so perhaps he'll go on the way to the vet and we'll just pull it from the carrier.

Litter used for past 5 yrs: Dr, Elsy's Respiratory Relief "low dust" fine grain crystal litter. Sometimes we have to use the regular crystal litter which has a larger grain size but doesn't remain dust free for as long.

I've read that stress and a simple decision to no longer liking the litter box are non-health related reasons why a cat would urinate on our bed and in our presence. The litter and placement of his box haven't changed in years. I can't think of anything stress related. It's a two-cat household but they're littermates. They appear to get along fine although there's an occasional squabble started by either one followed by group cuddle time. Neither constantly tries to avoid the other.

So I'm at a loss. Assuming the urinalysis is fine does anyone have suggestions?
Should I get an ultrasound?

Could a cat suddenly no longer like the litter so he's holding it in for as long as he can (making me think he's constipated)?

Last edited:

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why are you trying to get a urine sample? Your vet will be able to culture this themselves.

I have never taken a urine sample for my male or female cats who needed them. Stool sample - yes. Urine sample? Nope. The vet was able to get the culture.

I suggest you get you kitty to the vet ASAP to rule out medical problems. Dr. Elsey's is a good litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JC fka JClark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why are you trying to get a urine sample? Your vet will be able to culture this themselves.

I have never taken a urine sample for my male or female cats who needed them. Stool sample - yes. Urine sample? Nope. The vet was able to get the culture.

I suggest you get you kitty to the vet ASAP to rule out medical problems. Dr. Elsey's is a good litter.
The cat tends to urinate in the carrier so because his bladder is empty the vet is unable to pull a sample. This afternoon we're going to just put him in the carrier without any towels so if he goes then perhaps they can then pull a sample. The sample has to be relatively clean. This happened a month earlier and because his bladder was empty the vet set us home with Nosorb, a syringe and vial. The cat would not urinate in a litter box with just a cup of Nosorb so we gave up due to the fact that his litterbox behavior returned to normal and bloodwork came back fine.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat tends to urinate in the carrier so because his bladder is empty the vet is unable to pull a sample. This afternoon we're going to just put him in the carrier without any towels so if he goes then perhaps they can then pull a sample. The sample has to be relatively clean. This happened a month earlier and because his bladder was empty the vet set us home with Nosorb, a syringe and vial. The cat would not urinate in a litter box with just a cup of Nosorb so we gave up due to the fact that his litterbox behavior returned to normal and bloodwork came back fine.
That makes sense.

It sounds like your poor cat must get very nervous & afraid in anticipation by being in the cat carrier. :(

Thanks for your explanation & I hope kitty is better.