Cat Urinating Or Throwing Up Throughout The House

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was taking care of my sister's ~2 year old female cat for a few days while she was away on vacation. I noticed that the cat either urinated or threw up several times at various places around the house. The first time I stopped by, I noticed small wet areas, but it was not obvious to me what they were. The did not have a strong smell and the wet areas were not very big. The cat used the litter box which I cleaned and replaced the litter. At first glance, I thought the cat drooled a lot on the floor. Although the cat is not known for drooling. The same incident occurred over the next two days, but always in different areas. I suspect that the issue could be the litter. It's a type of all-natural cat litter made from grass that was originally given away by the pet store and then someone at work gave it away for free. My cat Skittles used it, but seemed to prefer the Costco kitty litter so we went back to using that. Although he's an outdoor cat during the day so he rarely uses the litter box. Anyhow, my sister will be using different litter, but any other advice or what to watch for? The litter has been used for a while and the cat did not have accidents before.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think if it was urine, you would have been able to smell it when you cleaned it up.

The other possibility is that it was a clear vomit/bile, which sometimes happens when a cat has gone without eating too long and their stomach is empty.

If it continues, a vet visit is probably a good idea, particularly if it turns out to be urine, since that could mean the cat has a UTI.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say a vet visit is in order. Something is wrong or the cat would not be peeing and throwing up around the house. Has this only happened while your sister is gone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll pass along the suggestions. Seems to be vomit. Cat threw up some green vomit today. My sister will be taking cat to the vet. The litter used is called SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter.

Seems like it has good reviews on Amazon. Other than that, the cat was eating food normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my sister took the cat to the vet about a week ago and they did x-rays, did not find anything and said to contact if symptoms of vomiting, not eating / drinking very much persisted. The cat urinates, but does not poop. The cat went to the vet after several days of vomiting symptoms. The cat did not get better so my sister took the cat back to the vet. They did x-rays, blood-work and gave the cat some pain killers. This time they found an obstruction. The claimed that the obstruction did not show up in the first x-ray because the blockage had moved although since they don't know where the blockage was in the first x-ray, not sure how they can claim that. So far, the bill is up to $900. I feel that my sister should not have to pay for the second x-ray because they missed the obstruction in the first x-ray. Similarly, one time I went to the dentist and after annual x-rays, they told me that I needed to have a cavity filled. I was a bit surprised because I do a good job of flossing with ACT and taking care of my teeth. So the dentist checked with floss, could not locate anything and did a second x-ray which showed no cavity. I was only charged for one set of x-rays. Any advice on dealing with the vet regarding the second set of x-rays? I've learned that if a cat seems to have a serious issue, skip the vet and go straight to the animal hospital.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry the bill has gotten so high, but glad your sister took the cat to the vet, and that they finally found out what was causing her symptoms. Hope she feels better soon.

Not sure about having to pay for the 2nd set of x-rays. I suppose it can't hurt to ask, though I'd be surprised if they agreed to refund/remove the cost.