Cat Urinating on Sofa

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have 2 cats, male and female litter mates, 7 years old, neutered. Adopted them 5 years ago. Male cat, Oreo, urinated on the sofa about a month ago. This was the first time he did anything like this but now it happens every week. Vet said he is fine. I give him CatMX twice a day, have multiple litter boxes. Now I need a new sofa because of the odor. My question is: WHAT ARE THE CHANGES HE WILL OR WILL NOT UIRNATE ON A NEW SOFA? I'm at my wits end and would appreciate some advise. Will go back to the vet for medication to help with this. I am sure he senses my stress because of breast cancer but I cannot face losing him.

Silvanred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you mentioned he’s been to the vets but have you had his urine checked? It’s worth taking in a sample in a clean and sterilised pot and getting it tested you could ask for a sample pot from the vets also. I had a sun ale issue with one of my males a few years ago and after a few trips we finally found out he had uti issues and complete change of diet to one that reduces crystals and he started to improve again and stopped destroying my furniture x I’m not an expert by any means just relate after my own experiences xx if the pee is smelly and you can see a small amount of pink or blood it’s almost certain it’s an uti but these symptoms are not always that obvious xx lastly if that’s already been checked maybe the use of a pheromone plug in and spray to help reduce his stress levels that and make a consistent schedule to spend time with him each day and play and cuddle and cat nip can be great too x hope he improves quickly and sending you loads of hugs with your recent diagnoses xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In early June the vet did urinalysis and blood test. No UTI or crystals and everything was fine. Oreo's been on a special diet for three years. I try to keep a calming collar on but he manages to remove it. He doesn't like cuddling, but likes being scratched/petted and we have play and treat times. He is high strung and needs Gabapentin to just get him in the carrier. He's my problem cat!!

I really appreciate your message. Will have the sofa cleaned and try another, more aggressive (but loving) plan to attack the problem. Thank you.

Attachments

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my Cynthia began urinating on the bed (very unlike her) we discovered she had a mass in her stomach that was pushing on her bladder. Not saying this is Oreo's issue, but wondering if the vet did more than just check urine for UTI and crystals?

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure they did x-rays. I think they just feel his stomach. Will definitely check on that. Thank you!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add, my cat, Little Bean had her Urine checked and was negative for a UTI. She went months with awful behavior and in that interim of time, saw 6 Vets. None ot them thought to RE-test her Urine for a UTI. By the time she saw Vet #7 she was just miserable. They had told me various things -- Behavioral Issue, Psychological Issue, "Just a sensitive bladder"....... you name it. I was beside myself and KNEW she was miserable. I took her in finally, to be put down, because I could find NO way to give her comfort. The 7th Vet randomly decided to run another Urine test and she was SEPTIC from a long-standing UTI. She had been mis-diagnosed! Turns out if the bacteria count is not high enough for a Urine Test, it can come back with a "false negative". So, we go home thinking 'Well that is not what is wrong with them!" But, the bacteria count keeps on growing and they soon have a full-blown UTI and we are none the wiser, but still wondering why they are peeing everywhere and not feeling well.............. Just wanted to throw this out there, because this was what my Little Bean was doing then. I did get my sofa deep-cleaned and got a waterproof sofa cover for it and kept it on there for a long time.... (Eventually, got a new sofa) -- I hear you though. It is awful and so frustrating! I am so sorry.

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information. Oreo has a vet appointment next week to have x-rays and will definitely get another uranalysis. I had the sofa cleaned and purchased a Sofa Scram to keep both cats off the sofa (makes a loud noise like a smoke detector when touched). So far it is working. Coco touched it once and now both won't go near the sofa. Thank you!!

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Syb had a pee problem for practically her whole life from the time I brought her home. They thought it was part IC part behavioral. We switched her to wet food mostly but she loved her dry. Had her on various meds, she was treated for crystals 2-3 times. None of it helped much. I set up lb with wee pads in them and she peed mostly there. She had been trained to pee on paper by someone before I adopted her. I did have to throw lots of stuff out and I reupholstered several couches/ chairs myself. Once the smell is there it won’t come out. I discovered scoe for surfaces that could be cleaned. It really works unlike most of the other odor eliminators. Some wee pads on the couch may help as well.

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never heard of Scoe but sounds amazing. Thank you.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do hope you can get some answers soon. It is SO distressing when this starts up and I hear you about that! I am glad they are staying off the couch now though. Sometimes, something starts that up, then whatever it was that made them start, goes away, but it has then, become a learned behavior. :( Also, the website Chewy has a natural (Inexpensive) Spray you can spray into the air, if he seems edgy. It is called Nature's Miracle Just for Cats, Calming Spray. I use that for my somewhat edgy-at-times cat Maggie. Also I often use a very good Homeopathic thing (tasteless drops) called Homeopet Rx Anxiety Relief. I just put the drops into her canned catfood and she does't even know they are in there! Those 2 things seem to help with off-setting behaviors she sometimes exhibits. I hope this never re-starts again and I am so sorry you are personally going through so many health issues and I wish you ALL the best in your recovery.

OreoCoco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Feliway diffuser in the area now and give Oreo CatMX for calming.I will look into the drops. Hoping for the best. Thanks for the info.