Cat Urinating Intermittently On Bed And Floor

Frankie5516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old female cat that will use the litter box and go outside to do her business, but every month or couple of months she will use the beds or the floor to pee. I have taken her to the vet, no problem. I even asked Jackson Galaxy, no solution. I tried what he said to do but it didn't work. I use the pheramones, don't work. Does anyone have the same issue and have you resolved it? I need help. I don't want to get rid of her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

What did JG suggest?

But mostly, what happens every month or two that's causing her to do this? In my mind until you determine that, everything you try is just a temporary, or less, solution. Since she's an indoor/outdoor kitty, that makes your job of finding out what's causing this even more challenging.

Can you keep her indoors only for a while?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it she is spayed, yes? Her behavior seems like it might be tied to her outdoor activity - another cat in the area that is affecting her, or some wild animals that occasionally come through your yard?

As Furballsmom Furballsmom has asked - it will be helpful to let us know what you tried that didn't work.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your cat's litter box issue. Is she an only pet? How many litter boxes do you have? Do any strays hang about outside your home? And, yes, is she spayed?

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you been cleaning the place she peed with an enzyme cleaner? When she does this, is it just once and then back to the litter box, or does it continue for some time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frankie5516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to take her to the vet again to rule out anything medical. JG recommended that first. Then setting up another litter box.

Frankie5516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I take it she is spayed, yes? Her behavior seems like it might be tied to her outdoor activity - another cat in the area that is affecting her, or some wild animals that occasionally come through your yard?

As Furballsmom Furballsmom has asked - it will be helpful to let us know what you tried that didn't work.
It could be, we have other cats around and racoons ets. Yes, she is spayed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankie5516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your cat's litter box issue. Is she an only pet? How many litter boxes do you have? Do any strays hang about outside your home? And, yes, is she spayed?
She is spayed. We have 2 litter boxes and 3 cats. One cat goes outside only. He doesn't use the boxes. We do have a stray from next door that comes in the yard occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to take her to the vet again to rule out anything medical. JG recommended that first. Then setting up another litter box.
Vet visit is good, to rule out a UTI or something else medical. Let us know what the vet says.

fur face

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old female cat that will use the litter box and go outside to do her business, but every month or couple of months she will use the beds or the floor to pee. I have taken her to the vet, no problem. I even asked Jackson Galaxy, no solution. I tried what he said to do but it didn't work. I use the pheramones, don't work. Does anyone have the same issue and have you resolved it? I need help. I don't want to get rid of her.
I'm in the same position I have had my indoor cat for just over three years, and when I first got her she had the odd accident probably due to new surroundings but on the whole no issues with the litter box but just this past 6 months she has taken to the odd pee on my bedroom rug, which I get rid of, but I like a rug so I replaced it but now three rugs in I'm at my wits end, she is health drinks from a cat fountain and is eating ok. I would sit on the new rug and feed her treats to get her used to it. I'm afraid I will have to ban her from the bedroom, which I don't want to do, she hates closed doors, she was kept in a cage and was a rescue. Anyone got any suggestions?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even though one cat only goes to the bathroom outside, you might want to try adding a third litter box. The rule of thumb is generally a litter box per cat plus one (so three boxes total, if you have two cats using the boxes).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in the same position I have had my indoor cat for just over three years, and when I first got her she had the odd accident probably due to new surroundings but on the whole no issues with the litter box but just this past 6 months she has taken to the odd pee on my bedroom rug, which I get rid of, but I like a rug so I replaced it but now three rugs in I'm at my wits end, she is health drinks from a cat fountain and is eating ok. I would sit on the new rug and feed her treats to get her used to it. I'm afraid I will have to ban her from the bedroom, which I don't want to do, she hates closed doors, she was kept in a cage and was a rescue. Anyone got any suggestions?
Is the rug washable? If so, you might want to wash a new one before putting it down. There could be some smell in it that she either doesn't like and pees on to try to cover it up, or that she likes and it attracts her to the rug. If you have towels/blankets that she likes to lay on - without peeing on them - try washing the rug in the same detergent.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try cleaning scooping out your litter boxes twice a day. Try changing them completely every three days. It's a little pricey but cats are fastidious and a clean box really matters to some of them. They have a really intense sense of smell. You may not notice the smell in the box, but she might. It's worth a try since the fact that your cat hasn't run away means she loves you.

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Keeb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting I am following your post. Our babies are 7 months old we have one male and one female with 2 Cat boxes. They have both been fixed. I think the male is peeing under the second bedroom bed. I will try keeping the Cat boxes more clean yes more expensive... I think it also maybe the crazy winds we have been having around here it seems to freak him out a bit. Good luck with yours.