Cat Upset By Coughing/sneezing

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First let me say this isn’t a urgent matter, just something I’ve been wondering about for awhile and thought I would see if anyone else is having this problem.

Sadie seems to really dislike it when I cough or sneeze. I was recently sick for a good 2 - 3 weeks and every time I would cough or sneeze she would....well the best word I have for it is grumble at me I guess. Kind of a complaining long meow? She would also put her ears back and if she happened to be sleeping near by and I do it more then s couple times she gets up and leaves. It seems to just be when I make noise though, there have been times when she comes to snuggle up with me when I’m feeling sick....

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it a Sadie thing? I got the impression that her previous owner was pretty sick before giving her up and I’m hoping that doesn’t have anything to do with her getting upset by it. I’m probably just projecting thinking that...

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just irritation over a loud unusual noise. I have allergies and am a big sneezer for about half the year and with every single sneeze Willow takes off running. But she is a very skittish cat in general and there are about fifty things a day that also send her running.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback guys.
It could be that she hears it as the cough/hiss that cats do when threatening, and she's just saying, "HEY...what did I DO? I'm just lying here!"
I never thought of that! That would make a lot of sense. I forgot that big cats do that

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even domestic cats make a noise that is reminiscent of it, when they are squaring off to fight. It's the oddest noise.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even domestic cats make a noise that is reminiscent of it, when they are squaring off to fight. It's the oddest noise.
You know, I’ve never heard it before. Thank you, I love learning new things

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sonny is fairly outgoing and loves to cuddle with us. He runs away from me or hubby when we sneeze. He has been living with us since 2010 and has always done this. My Starbuck will actually hiss at me if I sneeze and startle her while she is asleep. She just hisses at me and looks at me briefly before going back to sleep. Apollo will complain meow at me if I sneeze while he asleep. Casey my youngest adult will actually walk up and sniff me. He has been sneezed on a few times a result. He also seems to make sure he sneezes in my face anytime he needs to sneeze. Nothing like getting cat snot in your face while you are half asleep to make you realize your cat has a cold and needs to go to the vet. He had a nasty URI when he was a kitten and sneezed all over me for about 2 weeks. He did go the vet and was on antibiotics for it. My senior kitty Starbuck did the exact same thing to me as a baby kitten. She sneezed all over both of us waking us up throughout the night until hubby took her to the vet first thing in the morning.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Sonny is fairly outgoing and loves to cuddle with us. He runs away from me or hubby when we sneeze. He has been living with us since 2010 and has always done this. My Starbuck will actually hiss at me if I sneeze and startle her while she is asleep. She just hisses at me and looks at me briefly before going back to sleep. Apollo will complain meow at me if I sneeze while he asleep. Casey my youngest adult will actually walk up and sniff me. He has been sneezed on a few times a result. He also seems to make sure he sneezes in my face anytime he needs to sneeze. Nothing like getting cat snot in your face while you are half asleep to make you realize your cat has a cold and needs to go to the vet. He had a nasty URI when he was a kitten and sneezed all over me for about 2 weeks. He did go the vet and was on antibiotics for it. My senior kitty Starbuck did the exact same thing to me as a baby kitten. She sneezed all over both of us waking us up throughout the night until hubby took her to the vet first thing in the morning.
I’m glad it’s not just Sadie who does this! Thank you, you’re cats sound like such fun characters

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you think about just the sounds, coughing and sneezing are fairly violent noises. I can see where a cat might be upset by it.