Cat update - keeps getting UTIs

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a lot this past Fall about my CKD cat who wasn't doing well - super lethargic, weak, seizures, repeated visits to the vet, high numbers. I'm glad to report that we were able to get her CKD back under control and she regained her strength. She gets fluids at home very 2-3 days, eats and drinks plenty, no more seizures.

One problem though is that she keeps getting UTIs, which of course are common for her age (12~) and because of her CKD. Last week we did repeat kidney bloodwork and a urinalysis which showed that her high kidney values are continuing to drop (!!!) but she showed yet another UTI. We tried a different antibiotic this time - an oral liquid versus injection. Things were going really well until this morning when I noticed she was a bit lethargic again. She ate and drank, but shows obvious discomfort when I pick her up or pet her too much, and she doesn't want to play which is a big red flag for her. I reached out to the vet and they've yet to get back to me, but considering all of the other positives I've mentioned my hope is that this is all related to her UTI and we just need to switch back to her original antibiotic.

How though, if at all, can I stop her from getting these UTIs? As you can imagine, these vet bills are piling up and I can't afford to keep taking her to the vet every 2-3 weeks to get her urine checked. Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet run a urine culture? It will identify the best antibiotics to use for her particular UTI. A lot of times an antibiotic will help reduce the UTI but not eradicate it entirely if it is the 'wrong' one. If the bacterial strain is e-coli, pure D-Mannose will help clear e-coli from the bladder to aide in stopping future UTIs. Feeby was getting frequent UTIs, and they were always e-coli related. Of course, she always received antibiotics for each of them; but I started giving her D-Mannose and she (knock on wood) hasn't had a UTI since. A lot of members think D-Mannose works for overall bladder health, not just for helping to clear the bladder of e-coli.

In addition to D-Mannose, others on this site routinely give their cats cornsilk, which has a mild pain relief effect as well as an anti-inflammatory. I do know some other members say cornsilk is also a diuretic, so that may or may not be a good thing to give your cat. Arthritic supplements, such as Cosequin, also offer anti-inflammatory assistance to the bladder lining as well - even if your cat doesn't have arthritis. You might also ask your vet about the use of a more potent anti-inflammatory and if that could be beneficial.

Hope others come along soon with some suggestions too!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I entirely agree that a urine culture needs to be done if it hasn't already. One of my guys had a UTI and an oral antibiotic didn't clear it after 14 days so then I requested a urine culture and it turned out there were only two antibiotics out of all the many antibiotics out there that weren't resistant to what he had. We tried one of them and it did the trick.

I will add that one of my kidney cats used to get UTIs, and the injectable antibiotic (Convenia) typically did NOT work for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input. I spoke with the vet today who offered to do a culture, but he wants her to be off of any antibiotic for 3 days before we do it, then it takes 5 days for the results. I would like to do it, but that timeline concerns me because she already has the UTI in her system, and any time off of the antibiotics could potentially make things worse. That said, it could narrow down the proper antibiotic to use. So it's a tough call. In the past she always received Covenia injections which usually cleared up UTIs in her urinalysis results, but it's possible that it the antibiotic didn't completely clear up the infection.

We agreed today to switch antibiotics for now and give it a week. She has perked up quite a bit since morning, and has been eating well. She's not that playful but she's interested. I'm going to stew on this for another day or so, possibly see how she is tomorrow morning, because I'm also wondering if maybe this is more of an arthritis issue. At her age and health, any little change in her behavior throws off every alarm in my head.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is a conundrum about the antibiotics, because sometimes with repeated UTIs it is necessary to administer for 10-14 days before stopping. I know when Feeby was having her frequent UTIs, she was routinely placed on her antibiotic for at least 10 days, more preferably 14.

If you choose the arthritis supplement, most say it will take several weeks to see results. Feeby was originally on Glyco Flex Plus (glucosamine, chondroitin, and green lipped mussels) and I saw a change in her within 1-2 weeks. So, all of them work differently on each cat. I would still be giving her Glyco Flex Plus, but after nearly 3 years I think she tired of the 'taste' (and smell) that comes with the green lipped mussels. She used to love them though!

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a conundrum indeed. Repeated visits to the vet, persistence, and giving fluids at home has gotten her numbers to drop, even after a different vet initially told me back in September that she was genuinely concerned about kidney failure. At that time we also discovered a UTI in addition to super high CREA/BUN, and what I believe happened is she had a UTI that went unchecked for too long (she wasn't showing symptoms) and things spiraled out of control. At this point I'm aware that I can't take her to the vet every time she sneezes, but when I see her a bit lethargic and she growls at me when I hold her, that's definitely a cause for concern. That said, she IS getting older and does sometimes had joint flareups. It's just so hard to tell what's going on sometimes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't see any reason why you can't start an arthritis supplement (with your vet's OK) while you are working on this most recent UTI. I would also ask if there is any reason not to also start with the pure D-Mannose as well. Neither of those, as far as I know, should have any impact on the antibiotic treatment or testing her urine again once the antibiotic is done.

Feeby only showed signs of a UTI when it was bad - and that was either peeing over the top of the litter box or being a bit lethargic. So, I am quite sure she had UTIs going on a lot longer than I knew.

Any chance your girl could benefit from sub-Qs more frequently but at a smaller amount - at least through this UTI debacle? (What is her name just so I stop calling her 'your girl'. I am sure it is in your other thread, but I haven't looked yet!)

Keep us posted!

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the information. I think that for now the best course of action is to get her off her current antibiotic, do a urinalysis, and wait out the culture. I'm also purchasing this D-Mannose which I'll use regularly as a preventative. At the moment she's doing pretty great, but I can tell that the persistent fluids, Mirataz for appetite, and daily antibiotics are starting to take a toll on her to where she starts to get nervous when I go pick her up! Will keep the forum posted.