Cat unwell after vaccinations. Please help

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've made a post like this when she was a kitten but the side effects seem worse this time so I'm again, looking for some advice. I have a 1 and a half year old kitty and I just took her to get her rabies, FVRCP, and leukemia shots yesterday. It's been over 24 hours and she is still very very sluggish and slow. She can barely move around and when she does it's extremely slow. I know that cats can have lethargic side effects and that it's normal but she is just so not herself. Doesn't want to be touched, meows when picked up, has a very sad and lost look on her face. Is all of that normal? I know side effects can last up to 2 days but it just breaks my heart seeing her like this and I don't know if I should be worrying at this point or not. It sounds silly but I'm also really scared that she won't ever return to her normal happy personality. She's a very active cat and has a lot of cute personality quirks. But right now, she's just so not herself she's the exact opposite.

She is eating and using the bathroom as normal, though. So her appetite isn't necessarily what it was but she is still eating. But she's not meowing much and is hiding and doesn't want to be touched or picked up. She can barely move and when she does its slow and looks painful. She doesn't want anyone around her and isn't wanting to rub on anybody either which she before now, always would. She's not being affectionate or showing any signs of happiness at all. I'm very concerned. Someone please help :c

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have my sympathy. Been there, had it happen with my cats (who are 10 years old) also. You cat will probably be fine tomorrow. My boys seem to recover in about 24 hours.

What I do is remind their veterinarian that Mr Poe has an issue with vaccines. She gives him a shot of - I'm blanking out here - either a steroid or meloxicam to counter the effect. Also, we make sure that the year they are given a 3-year rabies vaccine they do NOT receive the FVRCP vaccine. Of course Domino, who never had an issue before this year, had the lethargy, inappetence, etc after his December rabies jab while Mr Poe, having had his steroid, was fine.

I know your concern is for your cats and mine don't enter into it. Just wanted to let you know this is not unusual.

Do let us know how things are, tomorrow, with your dear cat. You'll never be so happy as when she bounces on you tomorrow morning, meowing and asking "where's my breakfast!?"

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's totally normal :) The effects of all those vaccinations at one time can last a few days in some cats. As long as the cat is eating and drinking and using the litter box normally, I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned, give the vet a call for some reassurance.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Once, a long time ago, our cat was given a vaccine(s) that had similar side effects as what you described. I honestly don't remember which vaccine or if it was more than one but it was given in the muscle. I brought him to another vet and they confirmed he was sore but would be okay. Hopefully this is what happened with your cat and she will take a little longer to recuperate but I agree, if her symptoms don't improve definitely contact your vet. Please keep us posted with an update.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat react years ago to the leukemia vaccine, but she recovered with no other intervention. My cat vet will not give more than 2 vaccines at a time; I have never asked if the combination of the vaccines has any other effect which I suppose it might.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have my sympathy. Been there, had it happen with my cats (who are 10 years old) also. You cat will probably be fine tomorrow. My boys seem to recover in about 24 hours.

What I do is remind their veterinarian that Mr Poe has an issue with vaccines. She gives him a shot of - I'm blanking out here - either a steroid or meloxicam to counter the effect. Also, we make sure that the year they are given a 3-year rabies vaccine they do NOT receive the FVRCP vaccine. Of course Domino, who never had an issue before this year, had the lethargy, inappetence, etc after his December rabies jab while Mr Poe, having had his steroid, was fine.

I know your concern is for your cats and mine don't enter into it. Just wanted to let you know this is not unusual.

Do let us know how things are, tomorrow, with your dear cat. You'll never be so happy as when she bounces on you tomorrow morning, meowing and asking "where's my breakfast!?"
thanks so much for the reply and advice! I wish your kitties many years of great health and happiness. my kitty is feeling better today thankfully! she's not completely herself however she's doing better. moving around quicker, getting back into her hobbies, meowing more (it's faint and soft but it's something), and she's letting me hold her again. I guess she just doesn't do well with vaccinations especially not that many at once!

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once, a long time ago, our cat was given a vaccine(s) that had similar side effects as what you described. I honestly don't remember which vaccine or if it was more than one but it was given in the muscle. I brought him to another vet and they confirmed he was sore but would be okay. Hopefully this is what happened with your cat and she will take a little longer to recuperate but I agree, if her symptoms don't improve definitely contact your vet. Please keep us posted with an update.
she is feeling better thank you so much!

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat react years ago to the leukemia vaccine, but she recovered with no other intervention. My cat vet will not give more than 2 vaccines at a time; I have never asked if the combination of the vaccines has any other effect which I suppose it might.
I think you're right, it was too many shots. I should have listened to my gut because I was wary about giving her all those shots in one day. some vets tell you that's fine, but I don't think it is fine for every cat. next time I will definitely space them out

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's totally normal :) The effects of all those vaccinations at one time can last a few days in some cats. As long as the cat is eating and drinking and using the litter box normally, I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned, give the vet a call for some reassurance.
thanks!!