Cat unwell after urinary blockage

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 year old cat suffers with urinary blockages and unfortunately had one 1.5 weeks ago. He had a really traumatic time at the vets even running around the kennel and injuring his mouth and nose. We made the decision to bring him home and luckily, he peed after a couple of hours and has had zero issues with urinating since.

However, he's appeared not himself for the past 3/4 days now, progressively eating less, playing less and displaying all symptoms of being in pain. The issue is that he let's me touch his stomach, stretches as normal and doesn't appear to be in pain otherwise.

He was prescribed buprenorphine along with metacam and gabepentin (he was already on gabapentin). After 4/5 days, the buprenorphine (0.2ml every 8 hours) was reduced slowly. I thought it could even be withdrawal symptoms or side effects as it can cause constipation. However, my mum says he has pooped approx 2 days ago.

I'm so stressed and worried as I've called the vets twice today and no one got back to me. He went outside with me (which he loves) and was running around playing. We came home, he felt unwell again. Refused dinner and ended up eating tuna later, immediately felt unwell again.

This Seems like a cycle of up and down throughout the day. I'd appreciate any advice!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with a urinary blockage with my cat recently... I know how stressful the situation can be.

My first question is what you meant by "injuring his mouth and nose"? I just want to have a full picture of what happened at the vet where he was treated.

I don't know your situation, like where you live, if you have no other option... but a vet that allows a cat to injure himself, as well as not calling you back, sounds like an irresponsible vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat is that stressed out and injuring themselves at the vet, I think you need to perhaps change vets. I know that I have worked at a hospital that worked on feral cats which are much more frightened than domestic cats. and no cats were injured and were handled relatively stress free. There is no reason a cat is hurting themselves in a cage. I would suggest that you look at the following site and see if there is a cat friendly practice in your area.

The following is for information about using NSAIDS in cats with an obstruction.

In case you don't want to read through the entire study, I have copied the following as I think it is relevant in your cat's situation.

"Although NSAIDs are considered a mainstay for management of chronic pain, they are not considered a first line treatment for the use in feline urinary cystitis-related cases11. The leading risk and adverse effects of NSAIDs includes nephrotoxicity, gastric ulcers, gastric perforations, and anorexia in cats11. Given the risk of adverse gastro-intestinal and renal side effects of NSAIDs in cats, the current evidence does not propose that the use of NSAIDs shortens the clinical signs of FIC and it is critical that veterinarians report and notify the risk factors if they choose to use NSAIDs as an adjunctive treatment to owners, colleagues and future proposing studies alike."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he still on the Metacam?

No, he stopped taking that the Thursday just gone so he was on it for a week. Only taking gabepentin as normal and urinary supplements

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with a urinary blockage with my cat recently... I know how stressful the situation can be.

My first question is what you meant by "injuring his mouth and nose"? I just want to have a full picture of what happened at the vet where he was treated.

I don't know your situation, like where you live, if you have no other option... but a vet that allows a cat to injure himself, as well as not calling you back, sounds like an irresponsible vet.

He basically ripped his cathater out twice as well as his cannula eventually, he wouldn't let anyone near him without injuring himself or the vets. From what I understood, he bolted out of the cage and started running around the kennel like crazy and due to how drugged he was and how stressed he was, he was knocking into everything while jumping and running.

I was angry about it but they have done a great job with him so far, there's only been a couple vets I wasn't pleased with but nothing particularly bad.

When I picked him up, he was ao drugged that I said I wasn't comfortable leaving so they gave me a room for a while. He was okay eventually but he was sedated, on bupremorphine, metacam and god knows what else throughout the day.

I'll definitely look at it as I wasn't happy with what happened to him at all. He's a very docile cat but extremely stressed. However, he's never displayed such "aggressive" behaviour. Then again, I've never left him in that position

Thank you!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I picked him up, he was ao drugged that I said I wasn't comfortable leaving so they gave me a room for a while. He was okay eventually but he was sedated, on bupremorphine, metacam and god knows what else throughout the day.
My cat was heavily drugged and out of it following a urinary catheterization, also, and it took him quite a while to bounce back.

I'm not entirely clear on how long your cat has been off the buprenorphine? When was his last dose?

My gut reaction is to say that if you are noticing anything off, it's probably medication-related. But you also said you stopped those meds. I'm just wondering if you're seeing lingering side effects.

Prella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was heavily drugged and out of it following a urinary catheterization, also, and it took him quite a while to bounce back.

I'm not entirely clear on how long your cat has been off the buprenorphine? When was his last dose?

My gut reaction is to say that if you are noticing anything off, it's probably medication-related. But you also said you stopped those meds. I'm just wondering if you're seeing lingering side effects.
He's been off buprenorphine for approx. 5 days now (last dose Thursday) and he had a gradual decrease. I thought it was withdrawal myself.

I ended up taking him to the vets today and we ruled that he is still in pain. Started metacam today again and he's almsot himself completely. It is a massive turn around. They said he could still be tender I'm his bladder/penis due to the trauma, but I am concerned how he could be in so much pain still.

I'm hoping the review ag the end of the week shows some improvement without meds!