Cat under bed... a lot

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the title says, my cat Clove has been spending a massive amount of time under the bed for the past week. Here's what happened,

I took her on a trip to visit my mother's house where we stayed for a week or so. While there she was nervous at first (there are two other cats), but I kept her in the bedroom and she played and ate every day. Before this trip, Clove would run around, play, follow me, and eat full meals consistently while at home. Upon returning to my (her) home, she hides under the bed, comes out to eat, plays occasionally, but otherwise isn't her normal bouncy self. Factors that confuse me:

1. Her food intake is normal, though she does prefer eating near the bed if she can help it. I've cut back a bit on the dry food because I'm worried about her getting fat due to lack of exercise. That said- weight is normal with no significant gain or loss.
2. Litter box use is normal.
3. Washing herself- normal.

I'm wondering if it'll take her a while to readjust to being back in her space, but it's been over a week. I also am working from home, which is usually done in the bedroom. She's fine when I literally drag her out from under the bed- she doesn't resist and usually purrs when it's happening. If I let her go, she won't immediately run back under. I do try to engage her in playtime when she's out and make sure to give extra praise, catnip, and treats.

Can someone explain my cat to me? Is she sick? This behavior is confounding.

PS- have Feliway and not afraid to use it (but haven't yet)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure why it is confusing. Your cat was seriously stressed by the whole thing. Purring once in a while while stressed is something some cats do. Doesn't mean it wasn't scary to be taken by car to a strange room surrounded by scents of other animals for a week. Cats don't travel well to begin with, and being surrounded by strange animals is going to be very stressful for many. Some recovery time is normal. Not sure how long it will take for her to feel comfortable -- as long as it takes really. I wouldn't pull her out - coax with treats or toys or just give her time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure why it is confusing. Your cat was seriously stressed by the whole thing. Purring once in a while while stressed is something some cats do. Doesn't mean it wasn't scary to be taken by car to a strange room surrounded by scents of other animals for a week. Cats don't travel well to begin with, and being surrounded by strange animals is going to be very stressful for many. Some recovery time is normal. Not sure how long it will take for her to feel comfortable -- as long as it takes really. I wouldn't pull her out - coax with treats or toys or just give her time.
I do understand that cats get stressed. However, this is not the first nor only time she's made this trip and has recovered often within a day at most (but hours, more often). This time (if it is indeed caused by stressed instead of a medical issue- which is my fear) is taking significantly longer than it has in the past for her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see your point then. However, keep in mind that cats react to things differently at different stages of their life. They do great meeting a new cat, then years later, they do terrible even though the new cat acts harmless. They might do great with visitors to your house for a couple of years, and then something changes (like say Covid 19) you get fewer visitors for a bit, and suddenly they act terrified of visitors. I would never tell someone not to go to the vet, better safe than sorry, but a week isn't so long in the scheme of things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. What you say makes sense. I might give it some more time before I pack her into the car for another time, especially so soon. Plus, vets aren’t allowing anyone but the cat inside.

ps- for pulling her out from under the bed, she associates it with cuddles And usually melts into a kitty puddle once I have her. Of course I wouldn’t do it if I thought it upset her :)