Cat Tummy Bulge & Request Current Food Opinion

hannah's.dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a diet that my cat likes. And have a question is what I am doing alright should I add more or should I reduce any amounts?

My daily recipe I as follows:

1. 1 can Red Barn Beef pate – Urinary Support

2. 3 Scoops Honest Kitchen – Prowl (3/4 CUP)

3. ½ tea spoon – mybeau multi vitamin support

4. ½ tea spoon – goat milk powder

5. ¼ tea spoon coconut oil

6. 3/4 cup warm water.

I mix all of them together in the morning and get a porridge like consistency. And divide into three portions and serve 3 times a day every 7 to 8 hours. (no other food given, except some oats and scraps she begs from us when we eat our lunch or dinner)

So far, she loves the food. She licks the preparation bowl & the cleans the spoon prior to starting. She usually does not waste anything as well.

But I had found her around 2months back as a mal nourished cat. She weighs only 6 lb and is around 1,5 years old.

But every time she finishes a meal her tummy bulges like a she is pregnant & carrying babies. But this usually goes away in 2 – 3 hours. My friend says that its normal as she is a very thin cat and need to fill out more. So, is this normal?

On another note, she poops way less & does pee more frequently which is a good thing.

I also mix some egg whites once a week.

What are your guys opinion, I think I covered the balance diet scale? But the belly thing has been on my mind on whether is normal or is something wrong with the food mix. Am I overfeeding?

In terms of quality I think the above two are the best I could find for myself after a lot of research.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two basic foods (Red Barn paté and Prowl) look great to me :thumbsup: I'm not sure you need the supplements and extras though - both foods are complete and balanced, and adding in extras means you run the risk of unbalancing them.

I would cut the egg whites out altogether, especially if you're feeding them raw. Raw egg whites actually stop cats from absorbing certain nutrients, and can lead to deficiencies if fed long term.

As she's bloating so much after meals, I'd try feeding her smaller portions more frequently. Re-feeding malnourished cats is rather like feeding kittens - little and often is key. You're simply giving her more than her tummy can handle in one go right now, and that runs the risk of causing vomiting or other tummy upsets. My girl was skeletal when I found her, and she was ravenous! I accidentally over-fed her (despite feeding little and often - maybe 6-8 times a day) and she ended up with explosive diarrhoea as a result :paperbag: Think in terms of 'mouse-sized' meals for now. As her weight normalises you'll be able to move towards the three meals a day that you're feeding now.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really clear why you're mixing all that stuff up? Studies are very unclear about whether or not coconut oil is safe for cats, I do not think it's safe for daily feedings I would stop that immediately. Honest Kitchen is very carby, you're probably way over-feeding that. The vitamin supplement is probably a bad idea. Any commercial food is already complete and adding more can do more harm than good. You can give too much of certain vitamins. No oats, cats are obligate carnivore, and no kitchen scraps unless it's plain unseasoned meat.